Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Serf

Default Re: 42" build in Ontario

Thanks, Deejayoh, I'll adjust the arm, seeing as how it's still sprinkling and 12 degrees out there.
I'm hoping my pre-built arch holds together from the workbench to the oven.
Also still trying to figure out a buttress design that will work easily and let me add some lighting in the landing area.

and there's always more bricks to cut...

Q

The good things we build end up building us..
Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Serf

Wet, cold, and miserable all day. I put up scaffolding around the build so I could get a plywood roof over everything. Should have done it days ago.

I cut styrofoam arches to fit inside the curve of the pre-built interior arch, put a strip of light plywood on top, then tightened the whole thing together with a ratcheting hold-down tie. Carried it out to the build and set it in place on makeshift supports. I didn't plan on it being so heavy. I had shimmed the supports up enough to let me butter the joints and then lowered it into place. I should have had somebody to help me, it would have been so much easier. Sorry, but I didn't get a picture of the gear, too wet at the time.
Anyway, it worked. The arch is sitting on the arch supports just fine.
I also adjusted the IT as was suggested, then worked into the darkness with a trouble light inside the dome. There's a frost warning for tonight.
I really need to get out more...

Q

..in Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately pizza dome decree...
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Ontario-before-arch.jpg   42" build in Ontario-img_4509-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Serf

Well, I got past the fiddly part of the dome where it meets the inner arch, but it wasn't very pretty. A good thing nobody's going to be looking up in there!
The weather was against me all weekend, but I'm just a few courses away from closing up the dome.
Now to start thinking about the vent and chimney.
I'm guessing that a bigger diameter chimney (steel) is better than smaller..

more soon
Q

it's not really work, unless you'd rather be doing something else
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Ontario-img_4510-cropped2.jpg  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Journeyman

Hi Q
It was suggested to me to use an 8" dia chimney on my 42" WFO and it is working great so I would recomend the same.

Chris
Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Serf

Thanks, Chris,
I bought some eight inch chimney today, and a pile of steel studs for framing the house that will go around the dome.

The weather turned for the better and I got the last few courses in the dome finished. finally...

I have a few questions for anybody out there:
Can I construct the walls of the vent chamber from regular bricks, or do I need to use firebricks? I was planning on angled walls to the vent chamber and thought that regular bricks would show better. more colourful, maybe
I was planning on building the external arch with regular bricks. Will this pose any problems?
Will I need to include any thermal barriers anywhere?

thanks, everyone!
Q

a little well-planned toil can bring a lot of contentment...
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Ontario-img_4515-large-.jpg   42" build in Ontario-img_4518-large-.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Serf

Well, I started assembling the house over the oven - steel studs are great to work with, why have I never used these things before? I managed to pick up a pile of them for a buck each at a Habitat for Humanity charity shop.
I've started on the vent chamber walls, will work on the buttressing tomorrow. I think I'll drill into the pad and insert some rebar to help out. I know I saw that in somebody's posting, but I can't remember whose. Thanks for the idea
I'm still wondering about lighting and bringing power to the oven, as it's a bit away from the house. It would be nice to have some lights at it, as we are in a dark sky zone, so, in the winter it would mean working with a flashlight until the fire caught. It would be handy to have some kind of decorative hanging light on an arm that could be swung back and forth. I might leave myself an opening in the vent chamber walls for oven lights something like Mainelotus, though mine would be higher up and shining downward. We'll see...

Q

the race is not always to the swift...
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Ontario-img_4521-large-.jpg   42" build in Ontario-img_4523-large-.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 AM
Journeyman

Q

Your build is coming along nicely. As far as lighting goes, I used an idea from a forum member and put lighting in the gable end soffit . I saw it in action on his build and it did a get job of lighting up the entrance and front work area. I am still looking for the appropriate post mounted light for my pizza prep area.

Chris
Link to my build photo album: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...nsylvania.html

Last edited by hodgey1; 09-30-2013 at 04:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Serf

Thanks, Hodgey1,
Lights in the soffit sounds like something I can still add at this point. I got away from the build for a while during Canadian Thanksgiving, but have now got the frame of the house up and most of the roof on.
Thank goodness it has started to rain again - I can't imagine working on this thing in dry weather!
Anyway, last week I went through the curing fires cycle, and on Friday got it up to cooking temperature. We put fifteen pizzas through it, and they were amazing!
The very first fire was started with a take-out pizza box. Hopefully symbolic...
Now I have to add the insulation, and finish the house!
I've attached a picture of the first pizza.
Q
Attached Thumbnails
42" build in Ontario-first-fire.jpg   42" build in Ontario-first-pizza-large-.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 04:14 AM
Journeyman

I love the symbolism of the burning take out box.

Your pizza looks awesome, nice photo. Congratulations on having achieved the point of actually being able to cook in your new WFO. Fifteen pizza must have been quit a party, enjoy it before it snows.

Link to my photo album:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.