Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

I haven't tried it but mulberry should be an excelent smoking/flavor wood .
I'm with Les on stumps. They will eventually rot out leaving a void. It should be dug out and replaced with some well tamped spent concrete or other suitable fill. If not, make sure that your oven's slab spans well over the area of the tap root. And, like Les said, "make sure you have steel to span the area". You might want to think about a couple of more inches of slab thickness also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
V-wiz,

If you just grind the stump, it will compromise anything on top over time. It's a pain it the butt but I dig them out. If you pour your slab over the area, make sure you have steel to span the area. Just my opinion but I respect it.
Oh the oven wont be in that area or in top of the tree stump for that matter, its at the center of the yard so i have to get rid of it. The oven will be at the corner of the yard. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I haven't tried it but mulberry should be an excelent smoking/flavor wood .
I'm with Les on stumps. They will eventually rot out leaving a void. It should be dug out and replaced with some well tamped spent concrete or other suitable fill. If not, make sure that your oven's slab spans well over the area of the tap root. And, like Les said, "make sure you have steel to span the area". You might want to think about a couple of more inches of slab thickness also.
Your right, mulberry is awesome, it has a sweet aroma. Ive used it a few times. If you look at the photo of the wood you will notice chunks which ive cut just for smoking in my smoker.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Master Builder

I finally got my firebricks. They are high in Alumina. I have about 240-250. They are all tapered. The larger bricks will go on the floor, since the floor bricks are tapered also i will have to spend some time with fireclay to level them out for a even floor. The larger bricks are measured at 8 1/2" x 7 3/4", the tapered edges are 3" to 23/4". The smaller bricks which will be used for the dome are 9" x 6", the tapered edges are 2 1/4" to 2". Will i have issues with gathering heat since they will be thick and have lots of thermal mass? The walls will be 6" thick instead of 4 1/4" thick like most of you guys build yours. Does that mean i don't have to use as much insulation and cement for the exterior wall over the insulation? some education would be great. Anyways here are the photos. Thank you.

Last edited by V-wiz; 03-04-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The extra thermal mass will take much longer to heat up, but should retain the heat longer. That is, if you insulate at least to if not more, to the standard. The 80% alumina brick will be a chore to cut with a wet saw. It can be done but don't force the cuts and keep plenty of water on the blade. It will probably take several blades to finish the oven though.
UtahBeehiver will probably be your "go to guy" if you build with 80% alumina brick.
joghalai likes this.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
The extra thermal mass will take much longer to heat up, but should retain the heat longer. That is, if you insulate at least to if not more, to the standard. The 80% alumina brick will be a chore to cut with a wet saw. It can be done but don't force the cuts and keep plenty of water on the blade. It will probably take several blades to finish the oven though.
UtahBeehiver will probably be your "go to guy" if you build with 80% alumina brick.
Thanks for the tips. I will be using these bricks so a few blades it is.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Master Builder

Does anyone have dimensions for a corner foundation and cinder block lay out? I guess the foundation would be a square flipped to the side? how about the cinder blocks. Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, ill check the oven plans.

Last edited by V-wiz; 12-24-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Master Builder

Ok guys im still a little lost. Does anyone have a diagram of the corner foundation with measurements? I would really appreciate the help, or just dimensions. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Master Builder

Ok got the info i needed, thanks to Russell (Utahbeehiver). For those looking for the same info when installing a corner oven, The length is 86", the sides are 55.5" & the short side/door area is 43.25".

Thanks Russell.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Apprentice

Nice start, I love your bricks, I used some just like it, although yours seem to match a bit better than mine. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.