Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Happens when you don't use an IT. Seems like a natural reaction for most builders. Your last course should be connecting across the top of your arch to complete a circle. You've straightened out that last bricks on each side.

Brickie - IMO, the plans really don't cover this in much detail.

I am going to go back to my suggestion that the FB plans should be dumped into a Wiki where we could add all kinds of sections. How to build/use an IT. How to build the arch into the oven. How to taper bricks. Yada Yada Yada. Maybe this is something I will need to do myself if I find the energy. It really takes a lot of work to dig this all out of the forums when you are newbie who doesn't know what you are looking for!
brickie in oz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 03-12-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Happens when you don't use an IT. Seems like a natural reaction for most builders. Your last course should be connecting across the top of your arch to complete a circle. You've straightened out that last bricks on each side
It would also depend on how far back of forwards the arch is in relation to the dome.
The intersection of the arch and dome where they meet at the top have to correspond.

Quote:
Happens when you don't use an IT.
There is a current build on here using the IT and it still has the teardrop shape.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-12-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
There is a current build on here using the IT and it still has the teardrop shape.
I should have said "happens when you don't TRUST your IT". Pivots can only make circles, but we may choose in our infinite wisdom to override that!
brickie in oz likes this.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Master Builder

Because i dont have a form at the front of the dome/across the arch it has slowly slipped away. I will try to fix this gradually but i think the oven should still function properly.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It will be just fine. I had to do this for mine. Try to fix it on the next course as much as you can, or it will make closing your dome a bit of a PITA. if it is not a circle, it makes brick cutting a nightmare.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Master Builder

Ill have to start tapering the bricks also. Ive looked at "Les" build and those are done really well.http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/les-build-4207-3.html (Les' Build)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
It will be just fine. I had to do this for mine. Try to fix it on the next course as much as you can, or it will make closing your dome a bit of a PITA. if it is not a circle, it makes brick cutting a nightmare.
Thank you. i hope i can do this.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Similar to a Quebec oven shape...shouldn't be a problem.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Master Builder

Our dome is slowly rising. It was a pain in the rear cutting and trying to taper the bricks, id have to say it was hard than i had thought, figuring out the cut per brick per row was very tedious and aggravating. However we managed to move on.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Master Builder