Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

So can someone answer my above question about the chimney/entry size? thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Apprentice

V-Wiz Dino has done an excellent documenting his build with PDF drawings and photos, His entry is deep - his is the method I followed.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/di...tml#post131601 (Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/di...html#post52382 (Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts)

Others have successfully made their entry more shallow - the key is to maintain a sufficient cross section (number of square inches) and shape that will "draw" as you transition from your entry area up to your chimney. Amac has an example here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/39...tml#post129818 (39" Stargate Pompeii)

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Master Builder

Thanks man, im not sure which to do, one full brick like Amac or one and half. From what i underatand if using one brick since the hole would be narrow you should leave the chimney opening greater? What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks again
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Apprentice

I am no expert - perhaps one will chime in.
If you plan to use an 8 inch chimney (and you should), the cross section are of the chimney will be C=3.14*4*4 (no symbols on my keyboard, that is Pi x r squared). You need the throat of your chimney to have the same or greater area (length x width). As you transition from the square shape to the round shape you need smooth transitions and height to encourage the chimney to "draw". ONE factor in how well the finished chimney will draw is the overall height of the chimney stack. I found the following helpful as I thought about building my chimney: http://vestalmfg.com/PDF/FireplaceThroatDampers.pdf
So the pro of a deeper entry is large cross sectional area for transition to chimney. The con is further distance to reach your fire wood (it is heavy and you do't want to throw it in there)
The con of the shallow entry is..... will it draw, or will smoke come out the front of the oven instead of up the stack? I have no experience with the shallow entry - Ask Amac how well his chimney draws and ask if there is anything he would do different. I can tell you that the deeper entries make for a chimney transition that (with a tall enough chimney) draw very well.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Master Builder

That helps alot DVM, my plans were to go with a deep entry so i guess i will stick to it. Thanks again
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Master Builder

Might be random, but has anyone attempted to dry the oven using a dehumidifier? The company i work for has about a hundred large dehumidifiers. When needed to dry and isolate a certain area they bag, cover and mask the specific area to isolate the drying area. So why not cover the area of the oven and enclose a dehumidifier and have the machine just suck out all the moisture? Even if you cant get your hands on a large Dehumidifier you can use one of these Eva-Dry 1 Pint Mini Dehumidifier-EDV-1100 at The Home Depot.

What do you guys think.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
My Landrover once got really wet inside so I put our 3 litre dehumidifier in the back and closed the doors worked a treat.
We use our unit in the bedrooms during the rainy season to stop the mold, we live in the sub tropics and it rains a lot so it does get a workout.
Sounds like a good idea I think it will work pretty well, if you could sit it in the entrance or just outside the entrance and cover the whole thing in plastic and run it overnight to see what happens.
If it works you could keep running it each night until no water shows in the tank

Good to hear. Ya these stuff do work, i think i may do this when the time comes. It will be very consistent, no highs and lows like fire or heat can be. And naturally the air gets warm with the machine is running.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Apprentice

Great idea. So simple I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it before. Even if it only gets out 90% of the moisture, it's still a real good start. I'd still take it easy with the initial fires (just to be safe), but you might not have to go quite so slow.

Regards,
AT
Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Interesting idea, thinking outside the box. Worth a go if you have access to the equipment.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Master Builder

Ya im around these machines all day and i know they work. The only thing is when left in homes/rooms for too long will cause things to crack, as i sucks out all the moisture. Usually when left in a room (smaller rooms more so) the baseboard/trim caulking will shrink and crack, its not a big deal but it is capable of doing so. I don't think it will be an issue with mortar, certainly wont do anything to the bricks. I think this is a great idea and people should start using this, like i mentioned the Dehumidifiers at HD are cheap if you don't already have one or don't have access to one.

EDIT: i also have a pro-grade moisture meter, i can read the moisture off most building materials. When the time comes i will log the moisture levels and post it up. On a daily basis.

We also have a infrared moisture meter. I may be able to use that, no guarantee, that thing costs well over 9k.

Last edited by V-wiz; 03-07-2013 at 01:03 PM.