Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvm View Post
Re door dimensions 20"x12.5"
The wider the door the more heat you let out, and the more narrow (combined with the depth of the entry and landing) the more difficult to reach the side of the oven.
Regarding the height, I would choose a dome height (for a 40 inch diameter oven, 20 inches, or lower) and make the door height 63% the dome height. This ratio affects the air flow into the oven / and combustion of fuel.

Thanks, so i will do the dome height 20" tall, therefore the door opening height should be 12.6" (based on a 63% calculation) and the width should still be 20" ? is there anything im missing?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Apprentice

From the FB Pompei plans Pompeii Oven | Oven Dome Construction, the specs for a "High Vault" oven are:

Interior Diameter = 42
Interior Height = 20
Opening Width = 20
Opening height = 12.5

At 36 inches on a high vault, the width of the opening is 19". I think any thing between these points will work great.

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Master Builder

Hey Gang,

My buddy and I drove down to the brickyard and had them load up the truck with some Muddox firebricks, the Alumina content is 27%. I decided not to go with the high Alumina bricks i was planning on building with.

Here they are

And here im just dry laying and selecting the better bricks for the floor. May i state that the Muddox bricks are not straight at all, very curvy, and not true at all. Im going to have to level them with sand underneath and fill in the side gaps with sand, just like you would with pavers.

And here i used a few different sanding/grinding pads/stones to get and idea of what the countertop might look like, after i sand, polish and stain i will seal it with a concrete sealer.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They look very simular to the wire cut brick that I used for my dome. The dome is all cuts, they will work fine. I did buy pressed brick for my floor, but all cracks fill with ash anyways .

Old 03-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Master Builder

Very true. These were just randomly laid, im sure i can make them work better when i actually have the 4" Cal-Sil down
Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Journeyman

You WANT some gaps in the floor and between floor and wall. I laid mine too tight up against the back wall (I have a vault) and the second fire resulted in a crack right up the middle of the back wall.,,right through a couple of bricks. Not a big deal as far as structure, but it was avoidable had I left a little room. As mentioned above, the gaps between bricks fill with ash anyway.

I used muddox as well. The sides were curvey, but I found the thickness of the bricks to be very uniform. I used no sand/fireclay to level.

Here is the crack.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Master Builder

Wow i hope i can avoid that thanks for the advice. I am aware about the gaps but didnt think the actual floor needs gaps. The bricks differ in all aspects. Sides front and faces. Im gonna have to use mortar to fix the imperfections.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Master Builder

No mortar, imperfections adds charm. Just look in the mirror and see what I mean.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
You WANT some gaps in the floor and between floor and wall. I laid mine too tight up against the back wall
That is a pretty wicked crack line - looks like a lightning strike. I'm not sure the floor brick had anything to do with that. Is it possible that the hearth was compromised?

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
No mortar, imperfections adds charm. Just look in the mirror and see what I mean.
Lol very true, im only 26 so not to much of that now.
I can understand the imperfections but the dome rows should be similar and the floor surface should be flat, no worries its apart of building these amazing structures.

Last edited by V-wiz; 03-03-2013 at 08:28 PM.