Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Great score! I had just about given up on finding the color of reclaimed brick that I wanted (all I could find was red brick and I wanted something lighter). I had actually resigned myself to buying new tumbled old chicago brick when my wife ran across an add for these --for Free. We managed to get about 1800 for two loaves of bread (it was good bread). These aren't as old as yours and they aren't solids but I managed to pick up another 300 or so solids from somebody else for $20, so I'll have some contrast in my decorative arch. Looking forward to watch the rest of your build.

AT

PS My kids think I'm nuts but I still search CL for used bricks (kind of a strange habit) but old bricks are so cool!
Attached Thumbnails
42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.-img_20120914_191643.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Master Builder

Hi ATK406,

Be a sport, give the people more bread! At Free, your bread ain't that good! You are one lucky son of a gun! And buy your wife something nice.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
There is just something about old brick. Great! score there V-wiz!. With that many extra old brick, your imagination is the only limit .
I agree they are amazing, i think i can still use more. I plan on doing alot with these bricks. Well see what happens but id like to use them at the decorative arch and chimney of the oven, at the face of the outdoor kitchen over the cinder block, on the floor in my backyard and some other areas around the house. The wife and i love anything rustic and vintage so well put these to good use
Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATK406 View Post
Great score! I had just about given up on finding the color of reclaimed brick that I wanted (all I could find was red brick and I wanted something lighter). I had actually resigned myself to buying new tumbled old chicago brick when my wife ran across an add for these --for Free. We managed to get about 1800 for two loaves of bread (it was good bread). These aren't as old as yours and they aren't solids but I managed to pick up another 300 or so solids from somebody else for $20, so I'll have some contrast in my decorative arch. Looking forward to watch the rest of your build.

AT

PS My kids think I'm nuts but I still search CL for used bricks (kind of a strange habit) but old bricks are so cool!

1800 bricks for free? Nicee man. Here in Los Angeles everyday bricks are given away. If i had the time and the proper vehicle i would have had over 5,000 bricks by now. Do you have picture of those bricks all dressed up somewhere?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Apprentice

I'm not sure how to "multi-quote" my response but I'll try to answer your questions all at once;

Yes I am a very lucky guy and I do owe those generous people at least a few more loaves of bread...maybe after I've finished the oven enclosure and outdoor kitchen this Summer. As for my wife, she's just happy that I built the oven (it was her idea) and I can stop spending money on the materials (almost).

In Michigan it is not uncommon to find a hand full of bricks for free (usually scattered amongst a debris zone of busted block, bricks and concrete etc.). Prices for reclaimed brick vary from $0.05 - $0.5 for common bricks. Bricks as old as yours (with names on them) often sell for even more. I've seen one guy asking $3.00 a piece - he claims they were taken down from Tiger Stadium or something.

What makes my find even more amazing, they were not only clean and stacked (unused from the home construction 15 yrs earlier), I wasn't the only person to get in on the deal! When I called, the add had been posted for a couple of weeks and somebody had already come and gotten 1200 to 1500 for themselves. I estimated that I needed about 1600 to do my kitchen and I ended up with about 1800. As much as I like them, I don't dress them up (but that might make for a funny picture), but I do plan to use them this summer. I'll start a thread of my own build someday.

Regards,
AT
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
I'm not sure how to "multi-quote" my response but I'll try to answer your questions all at once;

Yes I am a very lucky guy and I do owe those generous people at least a few more loaves of bread...maybe after I've finished the oven enclosure and outdoor kitchen this Summer. As for my wife, she's just happy that I built the oven (it was her idea) and I can stop spending money on the materials (almost).

In Michigan it is not uncommon to find a hand full of bricks for free (usually scattered amongst a debris zone of busted block, bricks and concrete etc.). Prices for reclaimed brick vary from $0.05 - $0.5 for common bricks. Bricks as old as yours (with names on them) often sell for even more. I've seen one guy asking $3.00 a piece - he claims they were taken down from Tiger Stadium or something.

What makes my find even more amazing, they were not only clean and stacked (unused from the home construction 15 yrs earlier), I wasn't the only person to get in on the deal! When I called, the add had been posted for a couple of weeks and somebody had already come and gotten 1200 to 1500 for themselves. I estimated that I needed about 1600 to do my kitchen and I ended up with about 1800. As much as I like them, I don't dress them up (but that might make for a funny picture), but I do plan to use them this summer. I'll start a thread of my own build someday.

Regards,
AT

Lol, dressed up meaning installed pictures of/using those bricks. The particular brick i have sell for $1.00 each, and i got them for free, i got lucky . Here is the history for those bricks.

http://calbricks.netfirms.com/brick.simonssm.html
http://simonsbrickyard.blogspot.com/...-number-3.html

Last edited by V-wiz; 02-20-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Apprentice

Interesting history. Nice to have the "provenance" for your building material. You'll have to see if you can include a few bricks with the name revealed in your plan.

The second lot of bricks I bought for $20 (about 6 cents each) have some names on them. I'll have to see what I can dig up on the internet....but I don't think they are as old as yours.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Interesting history. Nice to have the "provenance" for your building material. You'll have to see if you can include a few bricks with the name revealed in your plan.

The second lot of bricks I bought for $20 (about 6 cents each) have some names on them. I'll have to see what I can dig up on the internet....but I don't think they are as old as yours.

Oh i definitely will incorporate the named bricks into my build. I also have bricks that were removed from a chimney from 1930, so i will use those also. Getting to that point is going to take a long time, i have not even started on the actual oven part, im really hoping to start the floor this weekend.

Last edited by V-wiz; 02-20-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Master Builder

Ive decided to build a 40" oven instead of a 42" oven. Should my door opening still be 20"x12.5"? Thanks guys.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Apprentice

Re door dimensions 20"x12.5"
The wider the door the more heat you let out, and the more narrow (combined with the depth of the entry and landing) the more difficult to reach the side of the oven.
Regarding the height, I would choose a dome height (for a 40 inch diameter oven, 20 inches, or lower) and make the door height 63% the dome height. This ratio affects the air flow into the oven / and combustion of fuel.

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.