Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula

G'day Steve
Check out the link in my post no 46 for readings
For standard fiberglass insulation read domestic fiberglass regardless of if its marked rockwool or mineral wool in Aust
However there are industrial versions of fiberglass insulation available that are made to take 650C and above that would be suitable for ovens. The last time I checked they were made by CSR and were a third cheaper than ceramic blanket.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-13-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Wrong no
Old 04-14-2014, 05:05 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Dave - handy knowledge for the next one.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Peasant

Thumbs up Re: 40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula

Hi All,

Christened the oven on the weekend!!

Covered the dome with another 2" of Rockwool, then filled the housing with loose Vermiculite. Lastly added the roof and cleaned up the brickwork. Another (smallish) curing fire on the Friday, and then let her rip on the Saturday!

Ended up having 15 mouths to feed for pizza Saturday night (word spread, things got out of hand …. ) and I was a bit anxious about pulling it off, so I fired it for about 3 hrs in the morning before pulling out the fire to cook some scrolls for lunch. Relit the fire in the evening for about 2 hrs before she was ready to go. The dome got up to around 500 C, and the hearth over 300 C. Pizzas cooked perfectly!! What a relief!

When all finished we left the coals in but shut the door, and the next morning it was still over 250C in there. Cooked bacon for breakfast, more scrolls for lunch, roast lamb, pork and vegetables for dinner. Threw some baked beans in to simmer overnight but the oven was still 150/160 C and obviously too hot (or not enough liquid with the beans) - they had burnt to a toffee by Monday morning Oven temp was still around 100 - 120C at that point, and when I stuck my head in to have a good look around - no cracks!!

So all in all a very successful weekend. What a relief!!

Just to finish the base now. Originally I had planned to clad that in sandstone rocks but the momentum and motivation have both dried up so we will just paint with a render type finish. I say 'we' because I have outsourced that to the wife!

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement along the way!

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0436.jpg   40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0438.jpg   40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0444.jpg   40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0447.jpg  
david s likes this.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Congrats on the completion of the oven and the success of your first party which I am sure we be one of many!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Andrew
Great to hear your enjoying you oven
Regards the beans. It wasn't the temp it was the loss of water. Most folk tend to rely on temperature readings less and less as they get used to their ovens. You cant think of normal recipe cooking times and temps in the same way. Most things can be easily cooked at temperature well over what would normally be used in a domestic oven.
Next time entomb your pot in aluminum foil. Jam the lid on with a piece of foil, then wrap it completely around from a couple of different directions completely around, joints on the bottom. I do rolled oats that way, and it always seems to work
Regards dave

I

My Build

My Door

Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G'day Andrew
Great to hear your enjoying you oven
Regards the beans. It wasn't the temp it was the loss of water. Most folk tend to rely on temperature readings less and less as they get used to their ovens. You cant think of normal recipe cooking times and temps in the same way. Most things can be easily cooked at temperature well over what would normally be used in a domestic oven.
Next time entomb your pot in aluminum foil. Jam the lid on with a piece of foil, then wrap it completely around from a couple of different directions completely around, joints on the bottom. I do rolled oats that way, and it always seems to work
Regards dave

I
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip! Will give it a go.
This is the exciting (and tasty) part of the learning curve!

Andrew
Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 AM
Master Builder

Good to hear that your first big cook went well. I am sure that there will be plenty more good food to come out of your oven. The beans will come right with the right temps and some technique.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-27-2014, 05:23 PM
Peasant

Well done Andrew the oven looks very nice, i can't wait to taste food from mine.
You should be proud what you have achieved...
Cheers Dario
Old 05-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dario View Post
Well done Andrew the oven looks very nice, i can't wait to taste food from mine.
You should be proud what you have achieved...
Cheers Dario
Thanks Dario.

I am actually! Things I will do differently next time, but happy with the way this one is working so far!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great Andrew. You must be chuffed with the result