Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 AM
Peasant

Default Re: 40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
Andrew....lookin' good!! It won't be long and you'll be cooking in it! Nice job.
Thanks very much!
I can almost taste that pizza….
Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 AM
Peasant

Update from this weekend:-

Brickwork complete, albeit still in need of a clean up.
Roof to go on next.

Another 2 days of curing complete also.
Saturday oven temp between 150 - 200 degrees © for about 8 hrs. Sunday got it up to around 250 degrees for about 6 hrs.
Looking fine on the inside so far. No cracks appearing as yet (and hopefully won't from here?).

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0432.jpg   40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0434.jpg   40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0435.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Master Builder

Hey Andrew - looking good and you should be getting past the danger zone for monumental cracks. My point of anxiety was when I had the first 'big scarey' fire and other than some minor cosmetic cracks inside it ended up fine.

With that sort of heat you should be able to roast things in there while you run your curing fires. Might not be pizza but the first chicken was a pleasant surprise for me.

Onwards and upwards............

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Peasant

Thanks Greenman.

I reckon I do one, maybe two more curing fires up to around 300 C. Then I'll let her rip!

I'm just trying to source more blanket insulation to put over the dome and under the housing. I've used ceramic blanket for the first layer, but it wasn't cheap and cost me nearly as much in shipping to get it down here. I think I can get Rockwool locally - will add another couple of layers of this and fill the rest of the space in the housing with loose vermiculite. That should insulate pretty well I think and help offset the extra mass under the hearth.

Andrew
Old 04-10-2014, 02:17 AM
Master Builder

Cobblerdave or David S might have some better advice but if you have a layer of ceramic fibre blanket you should get by very nicely with Rockwool and loose vermiculite. That would equate to a lot more insulation than most of the igloo builders use.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula

G'day
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/3/hi...tml#post115031 (Hi, new Aussie)
Here is a link to some "exploratory surgery" I did a few years ago.
My oven has 2 ins of ceramic then a layer of fiberglass batts over that.
The ceramic is very efficient as you can see from the readings it tempers the heat right down and protects the fiberglass from the worst heat.
I must stress though I would never use fiberglass home insulation directly on the dome it just not built to handle those high temps. The glass fibres are formed over 1200C but the plastic binders are not and there the thing that will melt and burn. There are however forms of non domestic fiberglass insulation available which are designed for 650C plus.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Have you tested any insulation bats directly against the dome on an oven Dave? I used them on my first oven, both over the dome and under the floor (using IFB's to support the floor pieces where necessary and insulating bats in between) On dismantling the oven there was no perceptible deterioration of the fibreglass. I would not use the stuff again though, because who knows what may be released at temperatures the stuff is not designed for, but also important is that the stuffs low density makes it impossible to render against without it compressing, if you are building an igloo. I have no idea what brand I used, but it was 2" thick yellow stuff with foil glued on one side, standard roof insulation, I obtained it from a building site skip.

Last edited by david s; 04-11-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Davids
No I have not tried fibreglass directly against the dome but I did try to give it a heat test with a gas blowtorch which it came through well. I then tried an oxy torch. It does melt and it does give off fumes, but this is a massive amount of heat concentrated on a small area. This is why I'm cautious and always recommend it as a second layer of insulation as I have done.
I was influenced in using fiberglass ( read term rockwool) and hebel from this build. As I had a set budget which I blew on firebrick and ceramic insulation I had to make it up in other ways

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html (Clay Oven on Verandah)

Like you said it does compress a bit but I was using 3.2R big thick batts with a goodly layer of birdwire on top it held up the render coat really well.
It served me well and I was able to get the dome rendered in with dry insulation. If I had used pearlite it would not have dried for months considering the rains we had that year.

My Build

My Door

Old 04-13-2014, 05:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G'day Davids
No I have not tried fibreglass directly against the dome but I did try to give it a heat test with a gas blowtorch which it came through well. I then tried an oxy torch. It does melt and it does give off fumes, but this is a massive amount of heat concentrated on a small area. This is why I'm cautious and always recommend it as a second layer of insulation as I have done.
I was influenced in using fiberglass ( read term rockwool) and hebel from this build.
Dave, rock wool (mineral,wool) and fiberglass are not the same thing. Fiberglass does contain organic binders that break down at high temps. And though it my resist high temps for a short time, it is not designed for continuous high heat exposure.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-13-2014, 06:15 AM
Master Builder

Given the huge price differential between ceramic fibre insulation and the fibreglass (in this country at least) it would be interesting to know if the temperature that would exist on the outside of 1" of c/f insulation would be enough to degrade the fibreglass insulation that is commonly used in building.

The builders with plenty of room for insulation may be able to save some $$ if the two materials can compliment each other.

Any wisdom gents?

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics