Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt Tool View Post
You're right there, fuel is one thing we have plenty of!
Gudday
I've heard that said before, the real "cost" of firewood comes with the time and effort it takes moving, cutting and even just feeding the fire. Instead of being an advantage of having lots of wood it then becomes a burden.
I agree with what Stonecutter is saying, put your efforts into rectifying that floor now rather than finishing an oven that will be a burden rather than the pleasure that they should be, you'll be less likely to use it otherwise.
Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:40 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post

This is what a forum is for, IMO. Do not hesitate to ask questions....a good discussion helps everybody to push the bounties of what they know.
Stonecutter I agree - a forum is for asking questions and sharing knowledge. But that relies on the goodwill, time and patience of others, none of which are limitless! I really appreciate the input from your good self and others here on this thread. It wasn't really my intention to leave the dome uncovered and uninsulated, but it was suggested and I was just trying to work through the possible benefits in my mind. Thanks to you all I have a better grasp on it all now, or at least I think I do, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in practice! I will take your advice and turn my attention to more interesting things like curing and cooking!

I can't get back down there for about a month now to continue the build, so no more questions from me for a while!

Thanks again,

Andrew
Old 02-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
It's just nomenclature associated with heating the oven masonry. Saturation implys an even temperature throughout the thickness of the mass.
I was just having a tongue-in-cheek laugh, because no oven is ever going to have the bricks saturated with heat, in the dictionary definition of the term.
I use the term the same way, heated to the point that the brick is pretty much the same temperature all the way through.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I figured, but there it is in case anyone else wondered what it really means .

Although, saturation as it relates to heat stored in the masonry is applicable and appropriate

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 02-02-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Serf

Thumbs up Re: 40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula

Hi Andrew,

Wow! you have had some serious advice and help.

I think you have made the right choice in going forward given everything else.

If you want to post me a paper/cardboard template of the door opening, I will make you a steel door with stand and handle. Saw an example last week.

Puppa
Attached Thumbnails
40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-andrew-oven-door.jpg  
Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Serf

Andrew,

I have read all the back and forth concerning your oven. I will tell you from experience what will happen. If you just continue your build and insulate the dome properly you will cook great pizzas and anything else you want. I made the mistake on my first oven of not insulating the floor at all, guess what happened? After two years of cooking pizzas, pulled pork and lamb it still works great. My floor did get cold faster than the dome and I had to spead hot coals over the floor the heat is back up to get a nicer color on the bottom of my pizza.
You actually have insulation below your floor, your floor is just thicker than normal. I will agree that you will not acheive the optimal thermal dynamic properties, but life goes on and you will have tons of fun and great memories making pizza with the little ones. I have an 11 and 7 year old and we have made pizza making, cooking and eating a family gathering.

Nick

ps, got luck on your move Stateside. We have plety of WFO builders throughout the country.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:35 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
Hi Andrew,

Wow! you have had some serious advice and help.

I think you have made the right choice in going forward given everything else.

If you want to post me a paper/cardboard template of the door opening, I will make you a steel door with stand and handle. Saw an example last week.

Puppa
Hi Colin

That sounds like a good deal and I will take you up on it.

Many thanks!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogplt View Post
Andrew,

I have read all the back and forth concerning your oven. I will tell you from experience what will happen. If you just continue your build and insulate the dome properly you will cook great pizzas and anything else you want. I made the mistake on my first oven of not insulating the floor at all, guess what happened? After two years of cooking pizzas, pulled pork and lamb it still works great. My floor did get cold faster than the dome and I had to spead hot coals over the floor the heat is back up to get a nicer color on the bottom of my pizza.
You actually have insulation below your floor, your floor is just thicker than normal. I will agree that you will not acheive the optimal thermal dynamic properties, but life goes on and you will have tons of fun and great memories making pizza with the little ones. I have an 11 and 7 year old and we have made pizza making, cooking and eating a family gathering.

Nick
Nick,

Thanks very much for your post, and your vote of support!

I have no doubt my oven will have its idiosyncrasies, and I am looking forward to learning them and doing my best to make the oven work as well as it can. My boys are also getting excited about the firing, and all the pizzas to follow!

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogplt View Post
ps, got luck on your move Stateside. We have plenty of WFO builders throughout the country.
Thanks also for this.
We expect to find out in the next few weeks which part of your country will take us, and then we can really start to plan things and get excited!

Andrew
Old 04-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Peasant

Hi All,

Just a progress update on my build.

I had an enforced break of about a month, but then got back down there and finished the entrance. Had a bit of trouble with the outer arch.... for some reason it just didn't go up as easily as the inner one. Looks OK though I think.

Last weekend I started on the walls of the housing and starting curing. Great to get the first fire lit!! First day held the fire at around 100 degrees for about 4 hrs; 2nd day was around 150 degrees for 6 hrs. My bricklaying wasn't as fast as I'd hoped, but should still get the walls finished this weekend with some more curing. On track for the roof and pizzas come Easter!

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0421.jpg   40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0424.jpg   40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0425.jpg   40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0428.jpg   40" brick oven on Tasman Peninsula-img_0431.jpg  

Old 04-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Journeyman

Andrew....lookin' good!! It won't be long and you'll be cooking in it! Nice job.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra