Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   36" Tall Man's Oven Build (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/36-tall-mans-oven-build-7946.html)

KINGRIUS 09-18-2009 09:20 AM

36" Tall Man's Oven Build

3 Attachment(s)
It's good to be making some forward progress on my oven finally. When I first joined this website a month ago, I was about to start my barrel vault oven hearth construction. But after all the great tips and advice from you all, I took a deep breath and decided to build a pompeii domed oven. Of course that meant having to get a few more things, which meant saving some money before I could begin the dome. In the meantime, I expanded the sides of my hearth slab to accomodate my 36" design. But the time has finally come to start the dome! And it's raining cats and dogs:mad:. So after building a little makeshift canopy, I've laid down my insulation board and laid out my floor. My next move is to even it all up with the sand/fireclay paste, then I'll set the entry way and arch. Thats my goal for the end of the day. I have to run back and get a few more firebricks, a samich, then it's back to work! Hopefully I'll have some additional photos tonight.
Darius

fxpose 09-18-2009 10:45 AM

Re: 36" Tall Man's Oven Build

Very nice. I love the setting against the hillside.

PHISHINGPHANATIC 09-18-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxpose (Post 65019)
Very nice. I love the setting against the hillside.

Ditto! That is going to be a fantastic location. As a kid, I spent all of my summers in Asheville - your pics bring back great memories...:)

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Gromit 09-18-2009 03:13 PM

36"? You don't look that short in the picture.

KINGRIUS 09-18-2009 09:49 PM

Re: 75" Tall Man's 36" Oven Build

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the compliments on the hillside setting. The truth is it's the last spot I have left on my 0.36 acre "estate" to put an oven. Before the end of the build I'll get some additional photos showing the oven's setting on the property.

I didn't get quite as far as the goal I'd set. I set the floor in place and and the entry walls, but not the arch. Tomorrow I continue with the entry arch and start with the soldier course and work 'till after dark.

Gromit- In real life, I am considerabely taller than 36"!

I got a pic in the dark, but I'm afraid it's not great. I worked 'till after 9:00 tonight.

Darius

KINGRIUS 09-19-2009 05:10 PM

Re: 75" Tall Man's Oven Build

3 Attachment(s)
I am going to start setting really easy to reach goals each day I work on the oven. If I accomplish them and get further, it'll make me feel like I'm getting more done.
It took me a while to finish the entry arch, but it's done. I just hope it stays when I remove the form(in many a day from now after much curing...).
I started cutting the soldier course bricks. It's a pain because of the used brick I've got, I have to clean each edge of each one off with the my saw blade before I can measure and cut. My arm is going to fall off! (there it goes- plunk!) I got slighly less than 1/3 of the soldiers cut, but not placed. Tomorrow I will continue the good work of the cleaning/cutting soldiers. at ease gentlemen
Tomorrow my goal is to cut 4 soldiers, but I hope that's not thinking too hasty...

KINGRIUS 09-21-2009 06:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
STINKIN RAIN!!! We have a flood warning in effect in my area till after midnight. It's making it difficult to lay bricks, but not impossible. As long as I keep myself underneath my little canopy.
I've laid two full courses, and about 1/3 of the third course. So far so good...
I took a couple pics in the dark-

DrakeRemoray 09-21-2009 07:51 PM

That's dedication man! Keep cranking it out...we had some snow here today...

KINGRIUS 09-22-2009 04:42 AM

SNOW?! Already?? But you're not even in the rockies. I wonder if that's a sign of the winter we're in for. Thats my real motivator behind the push to finish the oven a.s.a.p.- colder weather. I don't want to have to be trying to lay bricks in frigid temperatures...

DrakeRemoray 09-22-2009 07:04 AM

Well, we just had a little snow...even my Basil plants lived through it...