Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" Tall Man's Oven Build

Holy crap ken, Quite an explanation.... But a really good one that makes sense... THanks.. Since you know a bit about this I want to ask you an off topic question,,
Do you think Wood Gasification is a viable alternative ?? Are you familiar with it ?
No need to elaborate,,, (unless you want to)
Mark
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Apprentice

Hey Mark - I don't want to diverge on Darius's thread, but no. It works, but is not very efficient. It is very interesting though. Do a google on "Holzgaz" or "Holtzgas". They put this concept to work in Germany late in the war during their moment of desperation.

Darius- How's the dome doing? Did you squeeze in there and finish filling all the little pockets in the last few courses? It's sort of fun to tend the early curing fires while you continue working around the oven.

Ken Morgan
Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey ken,,
Thanks,, darius,, sorry for interupting...

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Apprentice

Yo Mark! No apology necessary! Thats what this forum is all about- learning from one another. This is all our thread!

No Ken, I have yet to set a flame inside the dome. I was thinking I'd let it really dry out for a while, maybe a week or two. I read a thread(don't remember what section of the forum or the name of the thread) on making sure there was no moisture left in the mortar. That this is the most likely culprit of the accursed cracks. I was thinking of putting a heating element inside it and bringing up the temperature until the outside reaches in the inside dome temperature, like I read in that same thread.

Truthfully, I am at a snag in my progress- I need to get my hands on some more cash before I can continue the project. I want to build my wood frame for the roof, get the chimney materials, and the FB blankets for the 3" of insulation for the dome. Surviving mostly off of unemployment doesn't leave a whole lot of cash left over for oven building. I need to rustle up some work to gather up the stuff for my next project phase so it may be a couple weeks or so before I can post any progress.

Darius
Old 10-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Darius,
If you have a small electric heater you can throw that in there for a while to help dry it out..
Old 10-08-2009, 04:18 AM
Apprentice

I do have one. Thanks for the tip Mark!

Darius
Old 10-08-2009, 04:26 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGRIUS View Post
No Ken, I have yet to set a flame inside the dome. I was thinking I'd let it really dry out for a while, maybe a week or two. I read a thread(don't remember what section of the forum or the name of the thread) on making sure there was no moisture left in the mortar. That this is the most likely culprit of the accursed cracks. I was thinking of putting a heating element inside it and bringing up the temperature until the outside reaches in the inside dome temperature, like I read in that same thread.
Darius,
Here is the post you mentioned. I have it book-marked because I plan on following the same curing schedule. It makes sense to me...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/co...en-7630-2.html (Colorado oven)

Good luck with the rest of the build!

Regards,
Bob

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the link Bob. How's your build coming along?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGRIUS View Post
Thanks for the link Bob. How's your build coming along?
Darius,

Slow, slow, slow! I really wanted to get this done before the snow but it's not looking good. I just haven't had time to get out there.
I completed course #5. The picture below shows course #4 completed...

~Bob
Attached Thumbnails
36" Tall Man's Oven Build-fourth-course-iso.jpg   36" Tall Man's Oven Build-fourth-course-aerial.jpg  

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Apprentice

Hang tough man, it's coming along! The only reason I was able to put the crunch on mine it because I've been laid off work. I wish I was busy working and oven building in the evenings/weekends instead of this just barley getting by crap. Of course the positive side of this is I get to spend more time on my oven build. I'll keep an eye out for additional progress on your building thread.
Keep up the good work (on the oven and in the real world)!

Darius