Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 36" Tall Man's Oven Build

Our first snow was October last year. That was pretty early for around here.

Hairline cracks- Are they a bad sign? I just finishd the third chain this morning and noticed the cracks on the back of the bricks in a couple spots. From here up I will be using forms. Hopefully this will prevent any futher crackings. Took closeups of them-
Attached Thumbnails
36" Tall Man's Oven Build-crack-1.jpg   36" Tall Man's Oven Build-crack-2.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Hairline cracks- Are they a bad sign?"

No, I wouldn't worry about them.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Neil2. Now I can sleep. I took some pics of our French Broad River this morning showing the flooding conditions. I sent out a dove and it returned with an olive leaf. LAND! The rains finally quit today after about a week straight of torrential down pour. Hopefully I'll have some better weather this week to continue the oven.

Darius
Attached Thumbnails
36" Tall Man's Oven Build-flood-2009-3.jpg   36" Tall Man's Oven Build-flood-2009-4.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hail king, Definition of a crack is something you can see from more than 10 feet away.... If theres no smoke or fire coming out, you'll be fine,,,

Mark
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Apprentice

Holy Smoke! We've felt pressured to get ours done before the rains come, and you're blasting on yours in rains of biblical proportions! Keep up the good work!

Morgans
Old 09-23-2009, 04:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When I built my oven in the early spring it rained most every weekend, If it wasnt for my "custom made plastic sheeting pergola" I would have never gotten done... 8-10 ft 2 x 4 and of course a giant sheet of plastic, My only mistake was using clear plastic, when the sun was shining it was like a greenhouse under there,, Next time i will use a tarp.. Of course I also had a few of those clamp on lights to work late into the night as well....

Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the sympathy guys, thats mainly what I was after. The canopy has been a build-saver. My only regret is that I hastily threw up the corner stakes without much care in making sure they were the dimensions of the tarp. As a result, I don't have a whole lot of room to spare when I'm under it and it's raining.(wet backside and elbows) One of those things I'd rather not loose valuable build time fiddling with. It's rained so much that our front and side doors to the house have swollen shut. We have to body them open to get in and out.

I have lost some productivity time figuring out the transition from dome to entry arch. it's been an annoying brain-splitting exercise. I spent a while looking through the photo gallery in the dome and vent/arch sections trying to steal some ideas of how you guys have done this. One of the only closeups I found were pics that pizzabob posted of his great cuts tying into the back of his entry arch. Since my dome seems to be considerably lower than the oven he built, I couldn't steal his cuts. But I think I've got a handle on it finally. Just in time to not be able to work on it for a few days because I have to do some secular work. I plan on working on it tomorrow afternoon though.

Thanks again for the advice on my hairline cracks and of course, the sympathy!

-Darius
Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
.(wet backside and elbows)
This made me laugh, as I suffered from this part as well...

Quote:
I have lost some productivity time figuring out the transition from dome to entry arch. it's been an annoying brain-splitting exercise.
This part was difficult for me as well, When I got to a point, I built my arch, Then cut each layer to fit into the arch,, The point is to not think about it too much and get in there and make it work

I hope the pictures help some,, Good luck,

Mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the advice and the pics of your cool build Mark. When I said I think I've got a handle on it, I meant that's what I've been doing- just getting in there and making it work. I went and built my arch first. I guess it really doesn't make much difference.

I've been pretty generous with the mortar, filling up voids here and there. I hope there's no law against the use of lots of mortar. I have an endless supply of ingredients.

Darius

Last edited by KINGRIUS; 09-24-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I've been pretty generous with the mortar, filling up voids here and there. I hope there's no law against the use of lots of mortar. I have an endless supply of ingredients.
Hey Darius,, There's no law in my backyard against it,, In some spots it was the mortar helping to even things out How bout some more pics ???