Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" in Seattle

Careful with the chestnuts, I cooked some and forgot to cut the outer shell. They exploded and blew the door off.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 36" in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
Planted ground covers all over the oven. They should eventually thicken up and fill in the entire exposed soil. Many of them should also drape over the sides of the oven.

The two rear corners will eventually house large pots with shrubs or small trees or tall grasses or something like that.

And the concrete counter will be covered granite; I've already bought the tile, just need to cut and apply it.

Cheers!
Do you have any end of summer pictures?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
So glad your neighbor didn't become a Grinch this time . Thanks for posting the nice holiday food pics.
-Dino
Yeah, no trouble from her this time. Her live-in boyfriend has always pretty sympathetic to my situation and helps me out.

I put a big box fan on a ladder blowing toward the top of my chimney away from her yard. It's kind of a hassle though. I would hate to think it should become a required aspect of the oven's use.

Anyway...

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Awe, I just sold my saw today. Little sad, but I'm glad it will continue to serve its primary purpose on someone else's oven. Good luck Cedar.

...also sold a still-sealed blade that I never needed, 60 firebricks, and half a bag of fireclay.

Hmmm, the season is starting to come around after the long winter. I'm feeling the need for pizza.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the saw, stand and the bricks! I wonder how many saws have built two ovens?
-Cedar
Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

None so far as in you better knock on some wood real fast dude.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I haven't been on the site in a long time. I haven't used the oven since Christmas and before that, since Thanksgiving (I have, however, perfect Reinhart's cinnamon rolls using the kitchen oven), but I'm getting ready to start using it for pizza for the summer, neighbor-issues not withstanding.

Question: I never stuccoed the bottom half of my oven (the outer walls of the stand below the hearth), so it's just bare concrete block right now, as shown in previous photos. I got a new bag of surface bonding cement that I intend to use for the purpose, but unlike the same material I used for the oven, which was Quikrete's white version of the product, this bag is the gray version (against my request when I place the order, but oh well). I'm curious if anyone has any intuition how that difference will affect my iron oxide colorant requirements? An exact match to the oven is not at all required, but I would like to have some idea of how to hit my desired target? Do I need more colorant for the gray than for the white for a given final color?

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Laborer

The difference in the base cement color will definitely affect the final color, but it's hard to know how much without doing a test mix and allowing it to completely set up. It will be difficult to get an exact match. You might consider going for a coordinated but significantly different color (or shade) for the base in order to avoid having it looking like an accidental mismatch.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not a bad suggestion. Maybe I'll go really dark brown for the base. The colorant is so strong it's actually difficult to achieve light shades anyway. Thanks.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Laborer

Yeah, I've got the same "problem." I've got about 20# of Portland (grey) left over, but will probably get some type N (white) and brown sand and just skim the whole thing with it. I've also got three different adobe "earth" colors to mix in various concentrations so the whole thing will have a homogenous look overall. Right now it's bits of Portland and type N (grey and white).