Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" in Seattle

I usually shovel a pizza in after removing the coals, but only near the entry otherwise the first one gets a burnt bottom. Usually by the third one it's cooking perfectly and I shovel them into the centre.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Filled the dry-stacked cores of the support wall for the extended counter.

I desperately want to start stuccoing the main structure but I'm scared of course...plus, I'm afraid of running out of colorant even though I believe I have more than I need. I'm considering doing the first SBC coat uncolored (white) and only coloring the second coat. Hopefully the second coat, at some substantial thickness, will be sufficient to avoid wearing through and exposing the white coat underneath...or maybe I should color the whole thing and not worry about running out. If I have both colorant and SBC left over at the end, I could apply a partial third coat until I run out, might leave some areas at two coats if I run out of course. Basically paralyzed by apprehension. Uuuuugh.
Attached Thumbnails
36" in Seattle-296-readytopourcountersupportwall.jpg   36" in Seattle-297-countersupportwallpoured.jpg   36" in Seattle-298-countersupportwallpoured.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 04-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

As a rule, you only color the finish coat.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Keb,,
I was worried too that I didnt have enough colorant and SBC, I didnt..... When I mixed the next batch, I used exactly the same amounts as on the bag and bottle info and everything came out fine... Only problem was, I'm sure I said this before but just in case, The quikrete color faded a bunch after a few months,,, and after the winter the color faded tremendously... What kind of colorant are you using ??

Dont worry about it,,, It is just like frosting a cake,,, easy to do and hard to screw up.. Believe me just from seeing what you've done already you are MORE than capable...

Will you be adding the acrylic fortifier.. ??

If it makes you feel better, mix up a small batch of the sbc and practice on that inside wall in the first picture..

Cheers
Mark
Old 04-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
As a rule, you only color the finish coat.
Oh, well that simplifies it. Sheesh, thanks.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
Hey Keb,,
The quikrete color faded a bunch after a few months,,, and after the winter the color faded tremendously... What kind of colorant are you using ??
I'm using the stuff you found for me on ebay; it's an iron oxide powder, which I believe is what Tscar recommended.

Quote:
Will you be adding the acrylic fortifier.. ??
Yep. I'm still worried about waterproofing though. I'm shopping around for ideas for additional methods, additives, under/over coats, whatever. Quikrete makes something called Masonry Waterproofer, but no one here has ever mentioned it (I started a thread just about that particular substance alone and got no replies). I've also heard someone here mentioned Thoroseal, so that's another possibility. I'm not sure which coatings would affect the appearance of the SBC either in terms of texture or color. There seem to be so many waterproofing methods that I can't makes sense of them all.

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, mix up a small batch of the sbc and practice on that inside wall in the first picture..
Hmmm, I handn't really intended to SBC the lower walls at all, just the oven. Not sure what I'll do on the lower walls, I would like to ledgestone them at some point. I really don't think SBC is necessary, may a simply parge, but nothing as expensive as official SBC, unless people think that's an important step to take in prepping the lower walls for ledgestone. What do you think?

Aside from that, I intend to begin by applying it to the base of the planter beds, for multiple reasons: No one will ever see it there because it will be buried under dirt, I won't color it there, at least the first coat, so I can practice in a section where I'm not wasting the colorant, and finally, if I do want multiple coats and the last coat is partial due to running out, then the bases of the planter beds should be most heavily coated areas. So, I think that'll work out fine. I'm still worried about it bonding to the hardibacker which seems like a pretty smooth substance, but oh well, everyone says it's not a problem.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

With regard to waterproofing, as stated, my basic stucco will be multiple layers of Quikrete Surface Bonding Cement with Quikrete Acrylic Fortifier, but since I am exposing this oven to some serious water (planter beds, although they will be lined with plastic), I am looking for additional options.

Ideally, I would like an undercoat, not an overcoat, for the SBC, so that the external appearance isn't affected by any additional waterproofing. So I would need something that can first be applied to basic portland parge and hardibacker and second to which SBC can then be successfully applied, if that makes sense.

Recommendations welcome.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thoroseal is an excellent product, and it can be tinted like the SBC. It is not troweled on, it is applied with a stiff brush (although you could trowel it if you wanted to).
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Would I apply Thoroseal as an undercoat or over the SBC? If the latter, how would it affect the appearance. Would the oven "look" painted instead of stuccoed?

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Final coat, it looks like stucco. Thoroseal is basically portland, marble dust, acrylic modifiers and graded sand, plus proprietary ingredients, probably stearic acids and water reducers.