Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" in Seattle

End area is all that counts. Structural design usually just stipulates the percentage of the cross section that is to be steel, the size of the individual rebar pieces doesn't matter (with a few exceptions).

Rebar works solely in tension or compression when part of a reinforced concrete structure. It does not resist load through any kind of "flextion" per se, although I understand what you mean.

Last edited by Neil2; 09-15-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, I finished digging out and leveling the foundation. This photo doesn't look much different from the earlier photo of the foundation, but it is actually considerably deeper and perfectly bubble level now. I already dumped some gravel in it too. Photos forthcoming.
Attached Thumbnails
36" in Seattle-05-holedoneandleveled.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

First gravel dump. I bought this batch, carefully creaming the large stones off the underlying clay so this is extremely "clear", as they say in the gravel industry (apparently). The rest of the gravel will come from a scrap gravel pile in my yard that was left over from an earlier job (see album photos). It has a high quantity of "fines" in it (gravel colored clay/dust). I think once it's all mixed together it'll make a nice base.
Attached Thumbnails
36" in Seattle-06-firstgraveldump.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My ever-evolving hearth-rebar design. In the diagrams the red cores are empty, and thus cannot contain any vertical rebar.

First, if you compare to my earlier designs, you will notice that I beefed up the "weak" corner by converting from a 3-half-block 'L' to a 2x2 half-block column. That space was useless for storage anyway.

The Pompeii directions suggest 1/2" rebar on a 12" spacing. It was subsequently suggested in this thread that 3/8" rebar on a 6" spacing will be functionally equivalent (thanks).

Problem is, it was also suggested that the horizontal rebar be hooked down into the vertical filled cores, and the centers of those cores are on an 8" spacing, not 12" or 6". Instead of stretching it to 16", thus going weaker than any design or recommendation, I went to an 8" spacing (perhaps an alternating mix of 1/2" and 3/8"?). Consequently, only every *other* horizontal rebar can hook into the vertical cores because the remaining horizontal rebars are suspended over empty cores.

Before people suggest that I connect up some of the open corners into long winding rebars, bear in mind that I need to get this stuff home. Thus, I really can't buy anything much longer than 9'-10' without doing something fairly elaborate on my roof rack to prevent the rebar from flopping around. Lashing/taping it to a 12' 2x12 seems like a possibility I suppose.

If you aren't completely drained by the tedium of this discussion, I would appreciate any additional input.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
36" in Seattle-standandhearth3a.jpg   36" in Seattle-standandhearth3b.jpg   36" in Seattle-standandhearth3c.jpg  

Last edited by kebwi; 09-17-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Serf

kebwi,

I was like you in the beginning analyzing and analyzing everything. I read the pompeii plans about 10 times. I finally said to myself that I am not constructing the Empire State Building, in your case the the Space Needle, and just plowed ahead.

My thread is under the Pompeii folder "New Oven in Connecticut"

JQ
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

@redmen4: Hmmm...that's some honest advice you've got there.

Truthfully, I'm neck deep in it. I'm just designing the later stages while simultaneously constructing the earlier stages. This week I destroyed a corner of our lawn, leveled the resulting pit, started dumping gravel in it, and have been buying tools and lumber like mad. By the time I have the foundation framed and ready to pour, I'm sure I'll have that rebar all sorted out. Likewise, by the time I dry stack the walls and construct the hearth form, I'm sure I'll have *that* rebar all sorted out too. :-)

Thanks, though. I see your point.

Cheers!

Last edited by kebwi; 09-17-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I went to an 8" spacing (perhaps an alternating mix of 1/2" and 3/8"?)."

Or if going all 3/8 in, just double up on every second one.

Should do it. Just hook or bend (4 to 6 inches) the dead ends horizontally ( the way you show some of them then over the lintels) and your plan looks fine.

Last edited by Neil2; 09-17-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Neil2. You're high degree of participation and information-rich feedback have been very helpful.

Now, I just need to some pipe for bending rebar. Home Depot should have that for sure.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The gravel is done, about three inches deep, a mix of "new" 5/8-minus and a leftover gravel pile in our yard from an earlier job (see album or earlier post for photos).

The first photo shows how the building will work, a four block wide opening on the left side, a five block opening on the right, and a 2x2 super strong column in the weak corner. I went to all the trouble of laying down the first course like this to make sure the foundation will be big enough. Looks pretty.

The second photo shows my growing stockpile of materials. I have many more blocks than are shown because they are scattered around the yard for various purposes, e.g., the first photo and a few other tasks. I'm particularly proud of the (as yet incomplete) pile of 1/2" 20' rebars, which I only got home by pipe-bending them in the Home Depot parking lot to get them on top of my car. At 160 pounds I barely have the leverage to do it without vices or clamps or any other assistance (which would obviously make it cinch).
Attached Thumbnails
36" in Seattle-08-gravelandfirstblocks.jpg   36" in Seattle-09-materials.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Are you pouring the slab with an "apron" slab in front of the wall ? If so, do it in two pours with construction joint or it will crack in this vicinity.