Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Peasant

Default Re: 36" oven build near Charleston, SC.

cnegrelli, I do not plan on taking any additional steps (other than treating the sunbrella once a year or so) for waterproofing. I have waterproofed the exterior of the dome as well as the top and sides of the hearth slab with a Valspar product designed for waterproofing masonry. The stucco and hearth shed water like a heavily waxed car. My concern with the oven was not that it would get wet through the exterior or the hearth, but that I would get water through the oven mouth that would seep down between the floor bricks and soak my ceramic fiber board insulation. The sunbrella cover does a great job at keeping the water out.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Peasant

Looks great! Is there anything you would do differently in retrospect?

Also did you put the FB blanket straight onto the outside of the firebricks, or is there another layer of something between?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Peasant

Blunt Tool, thanks for the compliment! Yes, I put the FB-blanket (200sqft) directly on top of the firebricks. I then chicken-wired it and stuccoed over it with about 3 layers of stucco. Even with a 1000degree fire inside, the outside of my dome is at ambient temperature. It is very well insulated.
I guess if I could do anything differently, I would have built a house around it with a pitched roof, so that I wouldn't need to keep the canvas cover on it when not in use. I guess I could still do that at some point, but after tinkering with this thing for a year and a half, I have no real desire to put any more work into it (other than cooking with it).
Old 01-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowly but Maybe View Post
Blunt Tool, thanks for the compliment! Yes, I put the FB-blanket (200sqft) directly on top of the firebricks. I then chicken-wired it and stuccoed over it with about 3 layers of stucco. Even with a 1000degree fire inside, the outside of my dome is at ambient temperature. It is very well insulated.
I guess if I could do anything differently, I would have built a house around it with a pitched roof, so that I wouldn't need to keep the canvas cover on it when not in use. I guess I could still do that at some point, but after tinkering with this thing for a year and a half, I have no real desire to put any more work into it (other than cooking with it).
Amen brother, I'm ready to put my efforts to cooking I'll soon be at 1.5 years great looking project!

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Peasant

Couple of pics from last night