Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Peasant

Default Re: 36" oven build near Charleston, SC.

Mock-up of first course:

This is as far as I have gotten. I plan on laying in the first course properly tomorrow and mortaring it up. Still have to make "the indespensible tool" tomorrow. I hope to get that done and get the second course in, too. I have absolutely zero experience/skill with this type of work, but I am learning as I go, and having fun in the process. I don't think my oven will be artistic or perfect from an aesthetic standpoint. I am shooting for a decent looking oven that functions well, and I think I am on track to achieve that (hopefully!). I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for looking and for any input that anyone might have!!

PS. I can't recall the dimensions of the base, stand and hearth, but will try to measure up and post that info tomorrow for you. Like I said, it isn't going to be a work of art, but hopefully the pizzas produced in it will be!!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks like a 56"X56" stand + a 1.5" overhang all around. Maybe a 59" x 59" hearth. What inside diameter is your dome going to be? What size inner arch? Looks like a very large entry.
Sorry,I forgot my manners. Welcome to the forum .

Edit: The size of the dome is right in the title .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 07-14-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Peasant

Gulf, thanks for the welcome. The oven landing itself is large, but the actual entry for the dome will be 19" wide by 12" high, as per FB pompeii oven instructions.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Geat door size. The plans are a very valuable gift from FB. I'm buiding a large landing too. There are a lot of reasons not to build one that large, though. Most shoot for as small a landing as possible. I'm just wondering if you have thought that part of it all the way through?

Last edited by Gulf; 07-14-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good start. You might want to think about another inch of insulation under the oven.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"The oven landing itself is large,"

Is this going to be covered ? If so you might find that you will have some difficulty working the oven if you have lean into a deep covered landing.

Maybe mock it up with cardboard or something and see how easy/convenient it is to work your peels in the oven, or reach in to place or retrieve pots.

Last edited by Neil2; 07-14-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Peasant

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming!! Yes, the landing is large, but the whole thing will not be covered, nor will the oven be inside of another structure or "house." I am simply going to wrap it with 3" of FB blanket, chicken wire it and then stucco over it. I am going to build the opening arch/chimney vent as per FB pompeii oven instructions, and then the rest of the landing beyond that arch will be uncovered. I don't forsee any trouble being able to reach all the way into the back of the oven once it is completed to tend to my fire or rake out the ashes. Thanks again to everyone for their comments and tips. I'm off to cut some more bricks!!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Peasant

Been a long while since I've updated. My oven build has slowly continued, and I'm happy with what I have built so far. This oven is far, FAR from perfect. Neither is it the best looking thing going. I'm fairly confident that I'm going to cook some excellent pizzas in it sometime soon, though! Here are the pics.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Peasant

the arch transition gave me fits. i built it and tore it down twice before i finally got it to work.

So this is where I sit as of now. I will try to get row nine in tomorrow, but that depends on whether or not my bricks start sliding. So far so good. I have bought an exercise ball to serve as my form once the bricks do begin to slide. Hopefully that will work for me. If not, I'll try a sand form. Thanks for looking!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Consider using a plywood disk and car jack, then it is easily removed to clean mortar joint or adjust after each chain. Look at Gulf's or Karangi Dude's build to see the process.