Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 05:43 AM
Serf

Default Re: 100cm Oven Perth, Western Australia

Thanks Dave.

I have 2 rolls of 50mm Bradford 650c insulation to do two layers over. Picked this product due to the mesh backing which should make the plastering a bit easier. I am going to leave it bare dome and just do newspaper fires this week to dry it out for a while. Then as you said, wrap the insulation over and insulate and then start larger curing fires.

As for the s/s flue, as you mentioned, i'll see how I go. A SW (normal sea breeze) actually blows away from the house, so might be ok anyway.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: 100cm Oven Perth, Western Australia

G'day
I live in a Queenslander , two stories , the ovens down wind and has a short chimney. It's down wind from the prevailing winds and surrounded by trees and bush to cut down the gusts and strength of the breezes . Long way from the kitchen , but the old gas BBQ was close and suffered from the wind.I'm lucky to have had some experience to build on in that respect
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
Thanks Dave.

I have 2 rolls of 50mm Bradford 650c insulation to do two layers over. Picked this product due to the mesh backing which should make the plastering a bit easier. I am going to leave it bare dome and just do newspaper fires this week to dry it out for a while. Then as you said, wrap the insulation over and insulate and then start larger curing fires.

As for the s/s flue, as you mentioned, i'll see how I go. A SW (normal sea breeze) actually blows away from the house, so might be ok anyway.
I don't really understand, for how long have you kept the mortar wet before firing it up?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugnsnisse View Post
I don't really understand, for how long have you kept the mortar wet before firing it up?

The dome was left for a couple of days before I tried the newspaper fire, as everything was nice and dry.

Now the weather has changed and its raining it is sitting dormant under a tarp until I can let it dry out again and start some proper curing fires each day.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 AM
Serf

Hit 842F on the walls this week, or 450c for other Aussies.

Pretty happy with it all, just possibly needs another roll of insulation over before I texture the dome as it got a bit warm (still can be touched easily though).

Cooking on Monday.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Can't go wrong with more insulation. But what you've got is probably still a bit damp that's why its hotter than you would expect. It takes a while to truely dry out and damp insulation is really not insulating like it can when dry.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G'day
Can't go wrong with more insulation. But what you've got is probably still a bit damp that's why its hotter than you would expect. It takes a while to truely dry out and damp insulation is really not insulating like it can when dry.
Regards dave
Thanks Dave,

Took your advice. I had a small (200c) fire going for a few days after this, and also some dry weather. Everything started to come together and the insulation was cool to touch (19c).

Over the weekend I did 2 coats of sand finish skim, and this weekend I will be putting acratex over it to waterproof and give a nice finish.

I had a large fire at the end, so large in fact it blackened the front of the arch, but I like it as it adds some character. The chimney works well, just this was the "scary fire" I guess everyone talked about. 4 logs on sawdust logs got me to 500c (932f) so I am ready to cook this Friday!!

Dome certainly grew in size a lot with the fireclay layer, then insulation, then 2 layers of render.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Don't burn logs as a rule. Chop then into pieces no thicker than you wrist. Best fires are made with sticks really. Hot and fast not low and slow ovens looking great by the way
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G'day
Don't burn logs as a rule. Chop then into pieces no thicker than you wrist. Best fires are made with sticks really. Hot and fast not low and slow ovens looking great by the way
Regards dave
Thanks Dave, ill chop down some of the bigger pieces.

When I say logs though that is being quite generous, most would range from wrist to bicep thickness, rather than tree log diameter.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 AM
Master Builder

Fuel that size seems fine. No logs there.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics