Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Paella - boiled rice.

So Sarah, is that pan black now??

I've done a couple on the banks of Cumberland and Tennessee rivers now.

Good luck with it.
Jim
Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Master Builder

Well, I have the pan now ... sadly though, it's still in it's original pristine condition. Once I finish some indoor renovations, close up at the lake and get a family wedding out of the way, you may see a paella post from me - hopefully a success report!
I could use some advice though - should I cook it in the WFO (maybe hard to manage) or over an outdoor gas burner (maybe not a wide enough flame for an 18 inch pan)? It's my understanding that over an open fire is best but I can't do that in the city ...

Sarah
Old 10-16-2008, 04:53 AM
Master Builder

The gas burner is a common way to do it in Spain but they use a double ring burner (or larger depending on pan size). You want to see the entire pan bubbling.

You can try the wood fire in the city. It's not too big and it's a cooking fire which is often exempt from bonfire rules. I use about a 5 gallon bucket of finely split oak to do a paella....start the fire with a bunch of miscellaneous wood pieces.

btw...you should wash your pan in soap and water first to get off the protective layer and then oil it. I use some olive oil and a sheet of newspaper.

I've seen Paella's done on stove tops and in the oven. The WFO might work fine if the pan will fit in the door....you have the temps and could put it on the coals or hot hearth.....if it fit's, give it a try.

Good luck with it...keep trying if you have any problems....it can be a bit hectic the first few times but you'll get the hang of it and it's worth it!

XJ
Old 10-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Master Builder

Rustic Paella's....on the rocks in LBL...done with fresh fish too!

...just so you know I have not been slacking!
Attached Thumbnails
Paella - boiled rice.-imgp2638.jpg   Paella - boiled rice.-imgp2651.jpg   Paella - boiled rice.-imgp2676.jpg   Paella - boiled rice.-imgp2678.jpg   Paella - boiled rice.-imgp2679.jpg