Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Paella - boiled rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJim View Post
James, Jim, all,

I've also made stock from oxtail, veal shin, beef shin or ten pounds of butcher's marrow bones with lots of meat still on (friend of mine). . .

Jim
I've never made stock out of a friend, but now that you mention it, it sounds delicious. Perhaps with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Seriously, though, I love the idea of a "starter" stock. I make fresh stocks all the time, but never thought to refresh them. I'm going to start doing that. THanks.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:25 AM
Master Builder

Just a quick update .... I'm always happy to revise a recipe when it makes sense....

..my Spanish friends recommended that the peppers be fried initially....so cut them in big pieces and fry them with the meat until roasted...then take them out and save them to put on the top later after the green beans go on.

did that last time and it worked well having the blackened peppers on the top!

...also another friend from Valencia puts his rice into the boiling liquid insted of frying it first like we do...tells you how flexible this dish can be!
Old 06-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Peasant

This maybe a stupid question...I've made risotto, never paella and have yet to cook in WFO. From this thread it appears you cook paella on top of some heat source...yet I see pictures of Paella in a WFO.

Do you cook it up then put in WFO to finish?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 AM
Peasant

What a great thread !

I had cooked paellas a few times on a stove-top, but it always seemed like a lot of work, but after seeing a demo of how it's done in Spain on a wood fire earlier this year that is how I now do it and it's a real pleasure and is absolutely delicious.

I build the wood fire ahead of time so it burns down to coals. While this is happening I grill red-peppers until they're blackened, put them in a freezer bag for a few minutes to steam and then peel the skins off - this gives all the lovely smoky flavour with none of the chewy skin. I always use chicken thighs so I also brown these indoors and heat through to make sure they're cooked through (probably won't do this if/when I get a proper big flat paella pan).

Then like Jim I fry onions and garlic and chorizo in olive oil in an earthenware dish on the coals, throw in the rice and coat, then add stock and wine, chicken, peppers, saffron, paprika, herbs and other ingredients.

As we live a little way inland and no fresh fish locally I usually buy some frozen prawns and mixed fish to add, and needless to say being Italian they're excellent.

We always make our own stock too, whenever we have bones left over, but we usually boil it down a bit to concentrate it and take less room in our freezer.

Ciao Rog
Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 AM
Master Builder

Rog, you're close enough to Spain that you should be able to find a pan....or have a friend bring one back....they are still cheap....my last ones were 7 euro's....may the Paella gods smile on you....

Jim
Old 08-19-2008, 05:16 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringJim View Post
Rog, you're close enough to Spain that you should be able to find a pan....or have a friend bring one back....they are still cheap....my last ones were 7 euro's....may the Paella gods smile on you....
Thanks for that !

I can probably get one here, haven't looked to be honest, but there's a place that probably sells them that I haven't been in for a while. I'll look in the next few weeks.

Have you or anyone else tried doing a paella-style dish in the WFO ? Wife did Chicken Basque in our electric oven on Saturday, which is really just a version of paella with chicken, olives, chorizo, peppers and oranges and it was super, would be fine in the forno...

Ciao Rog
Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Master Builder

Sure...keep it simple, it's still boiled rice. I've done it from scratch and used leftovers...both worked great!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f20/...bles-1459.html (Baked Rice with Vegetables)

J
Old 09-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Master Builder

A paella pan is currently heading my way ...
Old 09-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sarah,

Maybe I should apologize in advance, but I won't. SJ, aka XJ, is an unduly modest paella master and should be outed as such. Here's a pic of his creation at the annual Bread Bash (actually it was pizza this spring) here at Mary G's Artisan Breads.

"Keep it simple," yeah, sure . It looks just as fabulous as it tasted.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Paella - boiled rice.-paella.jpg  
Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Master Builder

Your timing in posting that pic is great since my paella pan just arrived today - I'm not sure my first paella adventure will be anywhere near as impressive as that though. Jim sure has set the bar high!