Old 12-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta

Here's a few shots of the porchetta 2 hours in.....

This thing has splattered grease everywhere! On the floor, on the dome, on the walls! Nothing that my next fire won't take care of though! If you look close you can see the marks on the back wall of the dome.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1059.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1060.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1062.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1064.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Desert pics..

Going in!

and

in the oven
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1065.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1066.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

After putting them in, I closed my "door".

Here is a better pic of how to make a temporary door.

If anyone has 2 or 3 square feet if Isol board left, I would be happy to buy it from you for my door.
Even if it is several smaller pieces.

And finally a shot of the internal temps of my oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1067.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1068.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1070.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The finished cinnamon rolls.

And a couple pics of the rolls I made this morning to eat the porcetta on.

I cooked them directly on the floor.

I did spray water into the oven before cooking and I shut the door. 6 minutes of cooking with the door in place and about 5 without it.

Hungry yet?

I am!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1073.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1074.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1071.jpg   Dave's West Texas Version of Porchetta-100_1072.jpg  

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but my mouth sure is watering.
Me too. Dave, you need to stop with such detail, unless you fly us there for dinner. Wait a minute, we can get UPS to do same day delivery Ken?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave, I would say to get in there and cosmetically, beneficially seal the crack. It sucks to have that within full visibility, after such hard and intense work. There is something to do, i'm sure, without dome reconstruct..

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 12-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was sort of thinking Dave should leave the crack alone. The oven seems to really want an expansion crack there. If you seal it up, it'll probably just crack again.

If you have insulation behind it, I doubt you'll lose much heat. It gives your oven personality.

Updated!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
I was sort of thinking Dave should leave the crack alone. The oven seems to really want an expansion crack there. If you seal it up, it'll probably just crack again.

If you have insulation behind it, I doubt you'll lose much heat. It gives your oven personality.
Yeah.. it doesnt really bother me.
But I am afraid it was caused by the slab settling.
I also have a crack in my stand slab... the same spot..

But I think it is done.... fingers crossed.

I did think ... that it was weird, because it cracked across bricks.. not just on the mortar joints like I thought it might do.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm curious to hear what some of the old-timers recommend.

Updated!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Will you look at the food you are cooking in that oven!!! Its BRILLIANT - so who cares about a bit of cracking??!!

I agree with Ken, unless anyone has a really good reason why you should do anything about the crack, leave well enough alone... and continue to post your delicious looking cooking