Old 08-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dandelion Quiche

Hey mitch, the saoking reduces the bitterness. The book I read said use either salt or water, so of course I used both... but it does work.

Dino, I just pickle the flower buds, not the stalks. And the smaller they are, the nicer they taste. The first lot were so small they hadn't even developed stalks yet, some of the later ones were just about to open. Here's the thread - its really easy, two or three minutes on the boil are quite enough.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/...buds-6455.html (Pickled dandelion buds)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here are some of the Dandelions I picked this weekend. They were very tasty. Everything grows so fast this time of year. Hard to keep up.
Attached Thumbnails
Dandelion Quiche-dsc_5233.jpg  

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Apprentice

My yard is going through a dandelion renaissance at the moment. I'm thinking of attempting the quiche this weekend. Huzzah!

Dino, your dandelions look much nicer than mine for some reason. Almost as if they were cross-bred with chard. Mine just look weedy. Oh well. Here's to trying it out!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Papavino, yes, some do look a bit weedy. We had a mishap last weekend were I cut bunch to get the garden ready for winter lettuces and just put them in big pot of water to rinse out in the yard before I go thru to pull out the REAL weeds and bits. I left them overnight outside in their water, my partner thought I already went thru them and boiled them for dinner. I took one look and new right away something was wrong. Weird brown, stringy stuff that looked like sea-weed. Pulled them out, dressed up good dandelions with EVOO and lemon juice, salted and to my surprise, were delicious.

Did you make your quiche yet? I would think a spinach quiche with half dandelions would taste excellent to most people. I may try it too, Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread