Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 06:17 AM
Serf

Default Re: Your Advice Re: HomeBrew Castable Mix Greatly Appreciated

30% Ciment Fondu (calcium aluminate cement I'm sure you can get some)
60% Aggregate (#6 mesh -sizing 3mm down to powder)
5-10% Fine Sand
5-10% kyanite (crushed, Metamorphosed peri-aluminous sedimentary rock, optional, if not available locally-add more fine sand)

Awesome Lburou. I'll need to add perlite to the mix to get the insulative properties we need.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Master Builder

When all is said and done, the 3:1:1:1 (sand:lime:clay:Portland cement) is very very cheap. So, very little money will be put at risk by making a stove lined with it and trying it out.
Same can be said (nearly) for a refractory made with Calcium aluminate cemet (ciment fondu).
Ditto any combination of perlite and cement you can think of, if you need some insulating qualities.

Looks like you are going to have to do some research.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think that anyone who comes on here looking for advise from members so they can use it in a commercial environment and hence make money is rude and cheeky.

Are you going to split the royalties with the forum members for their effort, I doubt it.

Go and pay a thermal engineer to come up with something to your requirements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:20 AM
Serf

"I think that anyone who comes on here looking for advise (sic) from members so they can use it in a commercial environment and hence make money is rude and cheeky. Are you going to split the royalties with the forum members for their effort, I doubt it. Go and pay a thermal engineer to come up with something to your requirements."

I guess there is another way of looking at our requests: pretty tough trying to start a business in this economic environment, but we are doing our best with limited funds. All the advice offered was voluntary, for which we are very thankful.

Looks to me that Forno Bravo is a commercial enterprise: from their website: "Italian brick pizza ovens for the home and garden, restaurants and pizzerias; wood and gas-fired. Outdoor masonry fireplaces, and accessories, including oven .." thus I saw no problem with seeking advice from those involved here.

And yes, I would be glad to share the money we make with anyone willing to help us get a solid product on the market. Would you like to be involved? I won't even ask that you share in the expense of the shop, the equipment, or the time and effort we spent since May getting this endeavor off the ground. PM me and lets discuss your participation.

Taking wotavidone's advice, along with a few others, we mixed a batch of fireclay, perlite, silica sand and refractory cement yesterday - made two bricks - each with different mixes. After proper curing on the stove itself, we'll place the bricks in the stove to see how they hold up.

Today we intend to make a 4" thick slab more in line with our needs.

Again, thank you to everyone who has offered their suggestions.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have never worked on developing a homemade a refractory mix design, but I can tell you that using portland cement ( component of the 3:1:1:1 mix) for your application would not be a good idea.

It doesn't appear that you have though. Pics of your test brick would be cool.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 AM
Serf

stonecutter,

agreed, portland cement is not suitable for our application. Thanks for your caution.

We used calcium aluminate cement found in Rutland's Dry Refractory Mortar Mix . We are experimenting now, as mentioned above.

I've also contacted Rutland for their input.

Be glad to share what we learn and post photos, here and on our website when finished, along with the results.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:01 AM
Apprentice

RSB, I can't tell from the picture, What type of heater is it....Mass? Bell? Other? I have made a few simple ones, and I am convinced that it is the way to go for my shop heater...I am leaning towards the bell type, but can't get over the core price....and the chiminey tile price...so I guess I'll keep feeding "Old Smokey" Making one is far different from producing them for sale... Good luck to you! edit...Don't know if this will work, http://www.skylinecomponents.com/Cer...ercoating.html but I have thought to use this over CF board in the heat riser section.....could be viable, just heat and no mechcanical abrasion...

Last edited by thickstrings; 10-31-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Serf

tsrings,

mass heater.

As you've observed, bells are more expensive, much more in many cases, which is why we are starting with mass heaters.

Once we can manufacture our own flues, bells will our next project.

Our first rsmh heats our shop - nicely too I might add. Not as hot as a wood stove and the next morning, because of the heated mass, the chill is not there when we go to light the stove for the day. Very nice.

Buying silica sand yesterday at the local bldg. supply, we scored enough scrap cut-offs to heat our shop for a few weeks, free. More free fuel where that came from too.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:27 AM
Apprentice

Do you have a opinion on the rigidizer in the above edit?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I have never worked on developing a homemade a refractory mix design, but I can tell you that using portland cement ( component of the 3:1:1:1 mix) for your application would not be a good idea.

It doesn't appear that you have though. Pics of your test brick would be cool.
If you have never worked with the homemade refractory mix, why do you think portland is not a good idea?

Tags
castable homebrew mix, castable refractory