Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Unhappy Re: Won't be starting - Pizza ovens banned by local council

Gudday
Ive been thinking about this a bit, like everyone else, it goes again't everthing we do here and no wonder it has sparked such a reaction. My neighbours a New Zealander and comes from Canterbury originally and I had a yak to him.
He was aware that gradually the council was doing away with burning anything in the area because the area is basically in a basin surrounded by higher ground.
He said in the old days (yep he's in his late 70s) smoke was a problem. Household rubbish was burn't in the back yard this include leaves and branches particularly in autum sundays were a day of smoke. Houses were heated by open fires and stoves were wood burning. All of these methods were not efficent and produced a lot of fine particles in the air that in the colder wheather would stay closer to the ground and were a health hazard.
But to include WFO oven in this is crazy we all know our ovens don't produce visible smoke because they burn thing so efficently. I know my oven doesn't add to the pollution in my local area. Someone in my street has a wood fire going in the winter mths go to the bottom of the street on a winter morning the smoke is thick and visible. I been down there when my my oven is burning and nothing.... no visible smoke and no smell. Only my closest neighbours know I have flashed the oven up as they can smell smoke for the first say 10 mins then when its hot ...nothing.
I checked again with the council this morning on WFO and they still class them the same as an outdoor BBQ unless they recieve complaints for smoke they are not worried. There only concern it seems it I didn't burn rubbish in it....as if.
I don't have a solution for uk-exile ....fight city hall? or gas fire it and sneak a coupla sticks of wood in when hot for effect?

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Won't be starting - Pizza ovens banned by local council

I'm chasing ECAN repeatedly and they're responding semi postively when I pointed out there are major suppliers (Bunnings, Mitre 10, =equiv to US Home Depot) selling pizza ovens and that there will be plenty of non aware non compliant rate payers. I asked several suppliers how they were able to sell the ovens & I've given their responses to ECAN too.

Apparently the regs are getting revisited again later this year. I've suggested change of wording in Air Quality chapter of the Natural Resources Regional Plan (NRRP) to accommodate 'cooking appliance'.

Current ECAN response is Outdoor pizza ovens are classed as ‘outdoor burning [fires]’ in our Air Quality chapter of the Natural Resources Regional Plan (NRRP). Because the definition of ‘outdoor burning’ does not specifically accommodate for pizza ovens like it does for hangis (and extended to include umus) and bbqs, then it falls back to the outdoor burning rules.
As they are classed as an outdoor burn, they can't be used in residential areas and/or Clean Air Zones (during winter months) – as per Rules AQL29 and AQL35, for Christchurch Clean Air Zones.
They would require a resource consent under AQL29A and would be assessed as a non-complying activity. Please note that these are very rarely issued to applicants, and the ones that have been issued have been for commercial premises.
If you are wanting to have some kind out out door pizza oven install, please note that if a pizza oven uses gas then that is fine.

p.s. majority of NZ electricity generation is renewable hydro generation topped up with coal, gas, oil

Last edited by uk_exile; 01-16-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Won't be starting - Pizza ovens banned by local council

uk_exile,
I would delete the word Pizza from your oven in all discussions and simply refer to it as a wood fired oven. You primarily want it to cook in, roasts, breads etc and pizzas are just one thing on an ever expanding list.
When you light up an oven fire it only smokes for a couple of minutes until it really gets going and then clear chimney emissions, (well mine does anyway).
If all else fails, then you could experiment by putting into your chimney a small steel barrel type fan and force all smoke and emissions through a water container or heavy misted section of horizontal chimney that would settle all smoke/soot particles, so that no one would even know that you had a fire going.
I would not give up but keep pressure on the authorities.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Peasant

I am sure that there is a treaty of waitangi item that assured people were allowed traditional cooking rights - meaning cooking with fire outside. (Not joking - serious). I know you are not Maori - but the right applies to all. Could be the easiest way to get this thru.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
I am sure that there is a treaty of waitangi item that assured people were allowed traditional cooking rights - meaning cooking with fire outside. (Not joking - serious). I know you are not Maori - but the right applies to all. Could be the easiest way to get this thru.
I did a search and found this reference

Scrumptious Earth Oven
Maori had an ingenious way of cooking food that is still popular today, and a must for any visitor to try! The hangi, or umu, is an earth oven built in a large pit. Special stones are placed over a fire of wooden sticks. A layer of green flax is laid above the stones, and then layers of meat and vegetables are placed between more layers of flax. A mat covers the oven. Water is then placed on the hot stones, which steams the food. Slow cooking makes the food extremely tender, while the wood and the flax infuse the food with a beautiful delicate and smoky flavour.

I would find it hard to believe an open pit oven wit green flax would not create a great deal of smoke and was also outlawed as it appears to be a traditional way of cooking. As the reference says "still popular today"

Chip
Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Master Builder

Start a new church/cult that makes the wood fired oven the working symbol of your religious beliefs. Then you can claim they are infringing on your worship.

Now that is a church that I would attend regular.

(intended with tongue-in-cheek)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Master Builder

At the point the green flax is in place, the fire itself is out and you're using radiant heat from the stones.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Laborer

I'm trying as it's only changing a few words in a policy but ultimately the councils aroud here have much bigger items to deal with.
Need to remember I'm in city where we had massive earthquake, there are thousands of homes in need of complete replacement, majority of other hiouses & buildings need repairs, basically no central business district left as 75% of the buildings (both low & high rise) have been or need to be demolished, etc. Rules changes to allow a fairly recently introduced form of cooking aren't high priority
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Laborer

I can't find any of the really good before / after images but here's just one link. Majority of CBD is gone
Christchurch CBD: Before and after - iWitness Story - iWitness - Home - 3 News
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Peasant

Thats a good point - it could be fought - But is that the right thing to do at this point.

Im guessing from your post that you do not think it is (And I think most in NZ will agree).

Kia Kaha.

Chris