Old 01-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Peasant

Default Re: WFO Progressing Nicely, but Help Needed.

Hi Jeff,
We live in Evesham, about two hours N.W of London. I will buy some vermiculite tomorrow and set about the insulation. I have done the floor this afternoon. 65mm of fire proof insulation.
I tried a blow torch on it for about 5 minutes and no damage, so it should be safe.
Next step is to coat the whole lot in vermiculite, about 50-75mm thick I think.
I'll post agin tomorrow when the next stage is done.
Cheers
Nick
Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Peasant

Hi Acoma,
I didn't think a chimeny was necessary outdoors! I thought that once the fire got going the smoke was minimal as long as you use dry wood.
What are the two curing methods?
Cheers
Nick
Old 01-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

With the flue, chimney, your smoke is drawn up and away, not in your face. A very high percentage of these outdoor ovens have the chimneys for that very reason.

Method A
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...uring-767.html (Oven Curing)

Method B
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...tegy-3227.html (Curing strategy)

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Apprentice

Great to see someone trying red brick - I'm watching keenly to see how this works out for you.

I might have misunderstood you - but your support structure is made up of 3" timber fence posts on the horizontal capped with 2" thick concrete slabs, right? I'm a bit worried that this won't be strong enough to support your oven - especially if your slabs crack with the heat. These slabs aren't really intended to do anything structural - there's no reinforcing bar in them. Best see what the real experts on here think - there's some photos uploaded here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...ndex.php?n=969

Please correct me if I'm wrong and you've got some more support in there, like a lintel, or blocks or something. Please don't think I'm criticising - just don't want to see your magnificent oven fall down! Incidently, the cheapest I could find vermiculite in the UK was 'Micafill' brand name - I think it's about a tenner a bag from builders merchants. I'm also considering using cheapo rockwool insulation from Wickes, but I'm not at that stage yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Carl; 01-20-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used rockwool for insulation. Seems to be working out ok so far...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Journeyman

Jeff, you still got burnt! Darleys charged mer $120 for the same roll of blanket -- which BTW wasn't nearly enough for two layers! - and I bought another carton of Kaowool blanket with almost the same specs from Field Furnace Refractories in Sydney for about $A80, if I remember correctly (it isn't singled out in my spreadsheet, sorry)...

Cheers,

LMH
Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Peasant

Hi Carl,
The slabs are supported on a brick wall at the back of the platform and on the 3" timber at the front. The timbers are then on 3" lega at 450mm intervals, so I think it will be ok. famous last words?? The base of the oven,ie the bit the fire will be on is made from fire bricks from a night storage heater and this in turn is on 65mm of celotex insulation so I'm hoping that the slabs will barely get warm. I really love the construction process so if I have to rebuild at some point in the future I won't be too upset. I always think of better ways to do things just aftre i've done them so the next one will be better than the last.
I have just bought 2 100ltr bags of vermiculite from Jewsons for £8.50 a bag +vat.
It's great to find another WFO in the UK. What is your oven like? Any photo's?
Cheers Carl, good to hear from you.
Nick
Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Peasant

Frances,
What sort of rockwool did you use and how did you use it?
Cheers
Nick
Old 01-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Journeyman

G'day Builders. Nice to read your progress/problem reports. Special thanks for replies/responses.
Nick I guess I would have used 'rockwool' also. Unfortunately our surplus ceiling insulation is a wool/poly blend. Hmmm..I think not.

Carioca, I got burnt indeed! Third degree eh.
Usually I sus prices out, but frustration with local blanks caused me to jump without looking re ceramic blanket . (Living in the sticks does have it's downsides: just hope the IR thermometer is at the P.O. when we go to town tomorrow).(It's a TN408LC, $98.Pouch,$12.Thepromkpn probe,$55, all plus gst. Postage $20. Hope the burns don't go too deep on this one!)]

Enough dribble from the Luddite,
Jeff.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Nick,
this is where I wrote about the stonewool.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/i...wool-2967.html (Insulating with stonewool)

The overwhealming response I got to this post makes me think that maybe not many oven builders on this forum have used stonewool products so far...

A guy from the Flumroc company actually came round to see what I was using it for and recommended this product, which is usually used for insulation round furnace chimneys and things like that. As I said, so far its working fine. I'll be able to tell you more about its long-term properties in a couple of years time