Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Which way to go, kit or build from scratch?

Hi Scott,

I have sent you a PM.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Apprentice

I will weigh in on this. I bought the pre-cast "Casa 100" and really like it. It took me about a month to build the thing considering pouring a slab, pouring the hearth, assembling the kit, and finishing the outside. I know it was more costly than cutting each brick by myself, but We decided this was our "boat" or "sportscar" or whatever and went ahead and splurged. What I learned when it was all over is that the oven will actually teach you as you go along, so if you want to build it yourself, go for it. If you don't, I can vouch as a satisfied customer for the kit.

Good luck and happy cooking
Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Laborer

James,

Could you please advise when that more affordable kit will be available. I was going to build with bricks but have been too scared now for 12 monts so figured will just get a kit.

I agree though the bricks are expensive here in australia there is a company here that sells them a little more competitively priced but still expensive if you ask me.

Tim is a major issue for me though and when I do a comparison of how much time it would take for me to do the oven as opposed to how much money I canarn working on my own business it is more worth it for me to buy a pre fab kit and put it together. Otherwise the oven will cost me $10000 + in time.

If you can give some info on the new affordable kits would be greatly appreciated.

Is there no was for anyone here in Aus to become a distributor of the FB Products ????

thanks
ikhan42

Thanks
ikhan42
Old 11-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Which way to go, kit or build from scratch?

ikhan42
where abouts in this big land of ours are you located?
Maybe we can find a fellow member close by to give you a hand.
You can find the occasional find in firebricks or you can use high fired solid clay pavers at a fraction of the price of fire bricks.
Nothing on ebay at present but keep an eye out.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Laborer

nissanneill,

The cost of the bricks arent really that big a deal to me as the kits are more expensive then if I biought the proper refactory bricks. Time is my main issue, I have starte my own business as of august 2008 and just cant afford the time of to build the igloo oven on the top ch as I would want the inside perfect. I know there are people in Sydney that will build the oven for me but all they seem to dois mound up dirt break bricks and lay them any old way. I want something that will last so that isnt an option for me.

My wife is also on mt back as that part of our backyard i looking pretty shabby at the moment and I dont blame her cause it gets to me too.

I mentioned on one of my other posts but I am from Sydney live not to far from Baulkham hills.

Thanks again
Ikhan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
ikhan42
where abouts in this big land of ours are you located?
Maybe we can find a fellow member close by to give you a hand.
You can find the occasional find in firebricks or you can use high fired solid clay pavers at a fraction of the price of fire bricks.
Nothing on ebay at present but keep an eye out.

Neill
Old 11-09-2009, 02:14 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhan42 View Post
nissanneill,

The cost of the bricks arent really that big a deal to me as the kits are more expensive then if I biought the proper refactory bricks. Time is my main issue, I have starte my own business as of august 2008 and just cant afford the time of to build the igloo oven on the top ch as I would want the inside perfect. I know there are people in Sydney that will build the oven for me but all they seem to dois mound up dirt break bricks and lay them any old way. I want something that will last so that isnt an option for me.

My wife is also on mt back as that part of our backyard i looking pretty shabby at the moment and I dont blame her cause it gets to me too.

I mentioned on one of my other posts but I am from Sydney live not to far from Baulkham hills.

Thanks again
Ikhan42
look up Fields Furnace Refractories in Wetherill Park, speak to Andrew or Alan. They will be able to steer you in the right direction. If you get stuck, Im in Melbourne on 0451 470 371

Last edited by Johnny the oven man; 11-09-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Which way to go, kit or build from scratch?

ikhan42
the following contributing members all have their location of Sydney. You might like to do a search of each and maybe send them a private email to see if you can benefit from their builds.

aj7877 Sydney
ecsk Sydney
Jaycw Sydney,
ikhan42 Sydney
Maximo Sydney
MikeyMann Sydney
Rodneyf Sydney,
Starman Sydney
Wilson1000 Sydney

You mentioned
Quote:
I would want the inside perfect
but you rarely if ever after using the oven look at the brickwork inside.
Mine is no amazing masterpiece , it is what I would call average to maybe slightly above average, but by hell it works a treat considering that it was built(the dome) in 2 days.
Your oven's performance is far better than how or what it looks like inside, half the time it is covered in soot!
Better to have the outside looking great!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway