Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Water Temp For Dough

By RO I meant Reverse Osmosis. It is filtered as a precursor. To be candid there are beliefs that RO is not good - at least highly pure RO, but my water is super hard and my RO is still higher in minerals than some so...

Distilled water and highly purified water are NOT particularly good for yeast likes a reasonable mineral level.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Water Temp For Dough

As TexasSourdough inferred above, distilled water is "normally" 99% pure--lacking the minerals, salts, and other compounds found in most tap water. Yeast cells like and need trace amounts of many salts and minerals (often found in water) for active fermentation. Pure "distilled" water doesn't make yeast cells very happy. FYI: Several compounds & minerals are often added to flour to ensure good fermentation (happy yeast cells) and your health. For example, a touch of citric acid is commonly added to flours by the mills because it improves fermentation significantly and Niacin is added as a human dietary supplement to prevent Pellagra, a vitamin deficiency disease--common in the US in the early 1900's.

In post #4 of this thread, I noted that I now use water from a supermarket vending machine for my baking needs and my sourdough maintenance. Those machines generally use charcoal filtering+RO units to produce a relatively soft, de-chlorinated water that doesn't smell or taste bad. After filtering, UV lamps are used to kill harmful bacteria/yeast cells still present in the water--that's really all I want...no chlorine residuals, few/no bad water borne organisms, and no funky smells/tastes that will ultimately affect my dough.

p.s. As a home brewer (if your water is soft) you will find many beer recipes that have you add certain minerals/salts to more closely imitate the water where a particular beer style is brewed. Many English beer styles are based on pretty hard water and so if you want a good "clone brew" and you've got soft water, "stuff" has to be added to the water during the brewing process.
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SableSprings; 03-24-2012 at 02:54 PM.