Old 12-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Volcanic rock

Hello Nick House,

Volcanic rock can be used in the base construction and outside covering of an oven.

The biggest hurdle is to determine which volcanic rock can be used to hold heat and make a hearth then finding a method to cut that rock to workable size. You want the hearth as flat as possible and with tight joints. Lightweight cinders or pumice can be used for insulation, as already mentioned. You need dense rock inside the oven to hold heat and layers of light rock on the exterior to insulate.

My research of island ovens provided a few photos and descriptions of examples made by Portuguese settlers in Hawaii. The hearth appeared to be made of brick. Portuguese Stone Oven Baking | Kona Historical Society Most "ovens" made by native peoples were of the pit variety where stones are heated by fire in an earthen hole then native foods placed on wet vegetable matter, then covered with more leaves and then earth from the hole. The food cooked by steam. Settlers from Europe constructed ovens like those made in their homeland and which we are more familiar with for baking bread. Settlers could otherwise use pit ovens or an open fire for roasting. It would have been easy to bring enough brick by ship for a hearth (as ballast) then use native materials for the base and exterior.

You might find a local source for clay and make a cob oven with cinder insulation and basalt exterior. If you intend to make the oven from cut lava rock then you should find a source for refractory mortar materials and cement. A demolished brick building might provide enough solid red brick to make a hearth. However, a Google search revealed a number of stone suppliers and refractory brick producers in Indonesia.

I'd suggest learning as much as possible about wood fired bread oven construction to get an idea of the basic requirements and fabrication methods then adapt your local materials to it. A good source of information is the free Pompeii oven plans and the various Forno Bravo pre-cast ovens.

Best of luck,

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Serf

Mainly people don't use fire to cook with in fireplaces. So the local rock is not really used that much, not even in building, most people use wood. I agree that using local knowledge is the best way forward, I will do some research as soon as I get home. I have downloaded the plans and have seriously started to read them. I also looked online for brick suppliers and there are many, but as our property is not near any of those places it would be very hard to get them delivered. I do know that we can get clay easily, by digging it up from a friends garden so that could be a very good way of doing this. And we will keep an eye out for some old buildings to nab the bricks from. Thanks for your valuable advice, I will continue to read up and research as much as possible, before we get home and start to build. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Volcanic rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick House View Post
...snip... I do know that we can get clay easily, by digging it up from a friends garden so that could be a very good way of doing this. And we will keep an eye out for some old buildings to nab the bricks from. Thanks for your valuable advice, I will continue to read up and research as much as possible, before we get home and start to build. Thanks again.
The more information you gather, the better decisions you can make when the time comes.

When you are looking for clay, look for a light colored clay, one about the color of desert combat boots -could even be a shade lighter. Alumina is about that color and alumina is one of the more important components for making fireclay and fire bricks (and, fornobrabo 'home brew' mortar).
Old 12-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Serf

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I am trying really hard to get all sorts of info from as many people as possible so that when the time comes, hopefully in the summer, I am a firm believer in starting to research nice and early, I will be in the best possible situation. Wow that was a really long and convoluted sentence, sorry. I will try and find the light coloured clay I am fairly sure it is a bit darker than what you describe, but I may be mistaken. Thanks, all of this sort of advice is great and I thank you all.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpizzanut View Post
Hello Nick House,
....snip....You might find a local source for clay and make a cob oven with cinder insulation and basalt exterior. If you intend to make the oven from cut lava rock then you should find a source for refractory mortar materials and cement. A demolished brick building might provide enough solid red brick to make a hearth. However, a Google search revealed a number of stone suppliers and refractory brick producers in Indonesia. ....snip....
Bob
The local refractory I visited sold all the rare items we need for a specialized wood fired oven. If you could expand Bob's search for a refractory in Indonesia and ship a few firebricks, ceramic insulation (for the top of the oven), and rigid refractory insulation (for the oven floor) to your locale, you would have the hot portions of your oven. Then, finish it with local materials: The best of both worlds.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Serf

Thank you. I will search for a supplier near to the island where we have our property, I am sure there will be one. We have property in a very remote place and wanted to try and use local materials. We will have a look out and see what we can do. Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Master Builder

Here in the Philippines, red fire brick is readily available. Should be the same in Indonesia. Try to find a place where they mine perlite, it's a great insulating matl. Even the unexpanded perlite. They mine it everywhere here. It's used in light-weight construction.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick House View Post
Thank you. I will search for a supplier near to the island where we have our property, I am sure there will be one. We have property in a very remote place and wanted to try and use local materials. We will have a look out and see what we can do. Thanks
Is it true that Indonesia has ove 15, 000 islands?

A lot of beach for sale there.

Last edited by Lburou; 12-25-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Serf

True and True.

Like no other beaches I have ever seen, white sand crystal clear waters, and great weather all year round.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Master Builder

Philippines archipelago has 7,100 islands.......... at low tide. Careful about buying beach-front property. haha