Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Vent, Arch and landing materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
If it is runny enough to be poured, it will probably crack. Make it as dry as possible and it should be fine.
Thanks!! I'll use mortar and cure it properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 04-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just went and took some measurements. Mine is 4" thick and begins 9" out from the inner arch. Yours looks like it will be much closer to the heat, so I do not think adding fire clay would hurt.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
I just went and took some measurements. Mine is 4" thick and begins 9" out from the inner arch. Yours looks like it will be much closer to the heat, so I do not think adding fire clay would hurt.
Thanks again. I would definitely use homebrew in this case.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemme View Post
ok granted that Insulting bricks are too soft.

So Dense Fire bricks it is !
but can a clays be used in vent wall and arch or only on the front arch as decorative cladding? surly if you *can* use red brick in the dome (yes i know its not best/recommended) it would be alright up front.
I used a similar solid pressed brick too. It gives a great contrast against the standard fire bricks. Unfortunately I haven't finished the oven yet so cannot confirm durability yet!!
Attached Thumbnails
Vent, Arch  and landing materials-dsc32.jpg  

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
I have a follow-up question regarding using home brew mortar as landing material right up against the oven floor.
Can I add Quikrete's charcoal color pigment to this homebrew? Do you think the high heat would have any effect on this home brew composition?
Would it also be a good idea to add small broken bits and chunks of firebrick as aggregate in addition to sand in the mixture?

George

Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Master Builder

Has anyone used a large terra cotta pot for the vent? I was thinking about casting a semi-circular vent but I think a cheaper and an easier alternative would be to use a large clay planter bowl, inverted and cut to fit above the oven entry. A 6" stove pipe would slip into this vent. My original plan was to use the metal dome lid from my old Weber bbq.

I'm curious if anyone has done this and how it's holding up.

George

Last edited by fxpose; 05-24-2010 at 05:39 PM.