Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 09:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Used whole firebricks instead of half

I guess the glass half-full view of this might be that if you plan to use the oven frequently (say every 3-4 days) it should have a lot of retained heat and you'll be able to get it back to cooking temps quickly.

If you let it cool completely between uses, you're looking at long heat-up times like others have said

Edit: Oh, and if you want to add a picture (yes please!) you can upload it from your computer using the little paper-clip icon in the "advanced" post tool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 03-29-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Peasant

My wife and I want to have a pizza party every Friday night. We plan on inviting about six people. So, we will plan to fire up our oven once a week. The retained heat Will not be an advantage to us, as I'm sure it will cool down in 6 days
I hope my photo gets uploaded correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Used whole firebricks instead of half-image.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, she's sure pretty! Picture showed up fine.

You could fire it up thursday night and get it up to temp then throw on a door to snuff the fire/retain the heat. If it is well insulated, it will probably be 400-500 degrees the next afternoon and only take 30 minutes to reheat. It's really easy to start a fire in a hot oven.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mexman,

Been following your thread for a while so here is my 2 cents worth. What done is done and you have to work with what you have. That said, with only three cure fires, I agree with Laurentis that you dome may still have quite a bit of water in it. With the amount of mortar used for full bricks and the vermiculite insulation there will be quite a bit of mechanical water left, I think David S. from Aussie land had a formula that steam from water was some exponential volume. Be patient, continue with slow and progressive curing and cook something while your at it.

I was in Cerritos, MX last year and had pizza from a WFO, the oven had zero insulation on dome and floor. They also cook pollo in cast iron pans so all it not lost. Enjoy your oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Used whole firebricks instead of half-cerritos-pizza-oven.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wasn't trying to sound like you had to do what I said, sorry if it came off that way. All that was said was just information for you to contemplate. Often times build discussion is idealistic, which doesn't always mean the best for every situation. Enjoy the oven.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Peasant

No, I didn't take that way at all and I appreciate your comments. That was what I was looking for.
I'm going to use the oven for a few months until I go on aMonth long vacation.
At that time, if the oven is not satisfactory, I will have the contractor tear down the dome, saw the bricks in half and rebuild it. One nice thing in Mexico, labor is cheap and since I will not have to buy much material the cost will be very little.
Today, after 2.5 hours of fire, the oven was around 600 degrees. I didn't tear it down before because I'm in a hurry and want a Pizza
Old 03-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Master Builder

Hi Mexman,

Don`t tear it down, I wish I had use whole instead of half bricks. Think of it as a deluxe rather than standard! If its insulated properly then you have a winner. Stop worrying, start cooking!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Peasant

I'm getting excited about my oven. Havn't baked a Pizza yet, just building a small fire and curing it. Today I decided to build a big fire and get the temp up to 800-900 degrees. I ran out of wood and stopped today at a roadside vender.
Down here in Mexico, since I don't speak Spanish, I never know what kind of wood I'm getting. He understood the word "pizza" Se, Senior, and pointed to some kind of wood that looked like hardwood.
I loaded my truck up with it.
I don't know if it's the type of wood or my oven is drying out, but the oven temp was up to 600 Degrees in 25 min. It's still going right now, so I don't know what temp it will get to.
My one concern is the firebrick floor. It was installed when I was gone for a few days. When I saw the gaps, I complained to my contractor. It turns out, the brick manuf. Here in Mex. Don't have close tolerance . Each brick is slightly difference in size. Hind site , they need to be sanded to the exact size.
If they cause me a problem with uneven heat, I can always remove them and sand them to fit or use thick tile
Attached Thumbnails
Used whole firebricks instead of half-image.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The gaps fill up with ash anyway. Move onward.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log