Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Used whole firebricks instead of half

Mexman, Just read your post and you may be glad that you are sticking with your build. The Allen Scott design (bread oven) has the full brick. Yes, it will take more fuel to get to heat but it will hold it longer than any of our ovens. With a moderate fire I am at temp in a few hours and able to cook something on day three. It may take one or two more hours for you but you will probably cook on day five - not a bad trade... Let us know how it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Mexman, Just read your post and you may be glad that you are sticking with your build. The Allen Scott design (bread oven) has the full brick. Yes, it will take more fuel to get to heat but it will hold it longer than any of our ovens. With a moderate fire I am at temp in a few hours and able to cook something on day three. It may take one or two more hours for you but you will probably cook on day five - not a bad trade... Let us know how it works.
I would suppose insulation will be even more important if he goes forward w/it the way it is. You'd want to save all that precious heat once you get it to temp. Insulate well, Mexman!! Then insulate some more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 03-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Peasant

I'm on my third day of small fires. Today I decided to get her up to full temp.
After two hours of a roaring fire, I'm only up to 480 degrees
I hope this is not a problem for me. I'm only going to bake Pizzas and hoping I dont have to wait 4 hours for 700 degrees
I covered the dome with two inches of vermiculite . It's working great. The outside of the dome is still cool.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Master Builder

It sound as if your oven has a lot of moisture in it and needs more curing.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Peasant

Thanks for your reply. I hope that's the problem. I had a fire going for three hours and the oven got to only 500 degrees.
They finished the concrete work about a week ago and I'm building small fires the last three days. Today was a good fire and I notice a few hairline cracks.
Maybe I should have waited a few more days before a big fire.
One good thing is the outside of my dome was cool. No heat at all.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Journeyman

Is 2 inches of vermiculite insulation enough to hold in the heat? Do you have a door on it? If so,does it make a good seal to contain the heat?

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You were told this was going to happen. There is a lot of mass to heat up and even when your masonry is dried out, it will still take many hours to saturate the oven....many more than an oven with half the mass.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexman View Post
One good thing is the outside of my dome was cool. No heat at all.
I don't see this as being a "good thing". It means that your bricks still have a long way to heat up before they saturate!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
I don't see this as being a "good thing". It means that your bricks still have a long way to heat up before they saturate!
I agree. Just as Stonecutter has said before, that's a whole lot of mass to heat up and hardly any insulation to contain what he is generating. It'd be interesting, if he has a door, to close it up and see how it contains heat. I would guess the rest of the unheated mass would just suck it right up, regardless of how much insulation it has.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Peasant

You are right Stonecutter, you told me and maybe I should have listened to you.
My decision to not tear it down and start it over was based on several things.
One, the contractor that was building mine had just built one six months before for a friend of mine. He had never built a WFO before. We live in Mexico and there are thousands of wood ovens down here for baking bread.
He based his design on other peoples bread ovens. He built my friends oven out of regular bricks, 8 inch thick walls with a lava Rock base two foot thick.
This is twice the thermal mass I have. The dome is covered with clay mixed with horse manure.
I was over at his house a couple weeks ago for a Pizza party. His oven got to 900 degrees in two hours.
My oven ( except for the 8 inch dome walls) is built to FB specks
My concrete base floor is floating on rebar , I have a two inch FB slab under the fribricks and I have a very good dome insulation.
I was hoping all this would make a difference
On a side note, my friends WFO cost 4,000 pesos to build ( $350)
Mine cost over 20,000 Pesos to build. Same contractor.
The difference was the cost of materials and extra labor.
Down here in mexico, reg bricks are 20 cents each. Fire bricks are over $3.00 each. Plus, I had a lot of tile around my oven and also it's painted.
I wish I knew how to post a photo, in this forum.
I looked how to post a photo and it said to enter the URL of the photo. Mine are on my computer, don't have a URL