Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Thermal mass across whole floor or biased centrally ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_exile;
if the bricks weren't $6 each making the build 3x the cost what these alternative designs
I have often thought it would be worth importing 1/2 a container of them to sell down here. You could make some $$$$ undercutting place makers etc.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Laborer

Certainly arranging a group buy & importing a few ovens worth of firebricks from USA would save heaps of $$$$ for a group of WFO constructors. Not so sure just importing a lot then trying to sell would work as suspect most kiwis keen on a pizza oven will just buy the steel box glorified hood BBQs, or will stump up $3k - $7k for premade.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

May want to include those who want to build a fireplace. I understand that it gets cold in yall's "summer" .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
May want to include those who want to build a fireplace. I understand that it gets cold in yall's "summer" .
Being a relatively small island in a large ocean certainly causes our summer to vary day to day. Been plenty of 22 - 30 degC days recently. A cold day could be 15 degC. Evenings can be cool.

Installing or using outdoor fireplaces will become more difficult as many councils are bringing in 'clean air' regulations. Basically they allow only certain high efficiency fully enclosed burners for house heating & certainly do not allow old style open fires. The work around for WFOs is all include a rule allowing fires for 'food preparation' hence simple BBQ, pizza ovens and oven a simple drum with grill over top is acceptable.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post

Installing or using outdoor fireplaces will become more difficult as many councils are bringing in 'clean air' regulations. Basically they allow only certain high efficiency fully enclosed burners for house heating & certainly do not allow old style open fires. The work around for WFOs is all include a rule allowing fires for 'food preparation' hence simple BBQ, pizza ovens and oven a simple drum with grill over top is acceptable.
I was thinking about indoor fireplaces. They are very common where I live. Many people have gone to the insert for their fireplaces. Not because of regulations, just because they heat better with less fuel. Mine is just the "old style fireplace". For many years, in our cold wet winters, I would cook in it. I used a "tuscan grill" over the hardwood coals. I did not know what it was called then . I wonder if that would be a way around the regulations handed down by the "Greenies" who want to live for ever? .

Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Laborer

Wouldn't most indoor fireplaces be built with insulating firebricks, not heat retaining ?

Christchurch were I live has had a clean air policy for many years. It's because of landscape the fire pollutants tended to settle in a natural thermocline, trapping them & causing issues for some children, elderly, asmatics, etc. Inserts became common about 30yrs ago & about 15yrs retro fits or new installations would have had to be an approved efficient clean type that means certain emmission rules. Use of traditonal open fires was completely banned a few years ago. A couple of years ago no new fires were allowed, even with approved inserts & recently use of non approved inserts was also banned. Within next 10-20yrs will probably be zero solid fuel burners in use.
The large earthquakes we expereinced in last 2yrs have knocked down the many old chimneys (& houses, new & old) so it has naturally accelerated the process. No new houses are allowed burners of any form.
I consider it a good thing (if the electricity supply can support it) as the air & views are definitely much clearer now than they were a few years ago. Occassional fire use the enviroment can cope with but full time primary household heating use it simply can't. Also we don't have vast area of firewood trees so fuel is not super abundant anymore.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I understand a little more now about your area. We have a little more cold and wet weather than you. I also live in the "country" where houses are not very close together. Hardwood trees are abundant. I am sure glad that we haven't had an eartquake in the Mississippi Valley in my lifetime .

Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Laborer

Didn't expect I'd feel a significant EQ either but there were unknown fault lines right under the city that caused highest vertical accelerations recorded anywhere in world (peaked at 2.5G !!) and are now considered a 1 in 2500yr event. Modern building codes only designed for 1 in 500 or 750 year events so many sturcutres, even modern ones where broken beyond econmic repair. Result was 180+ people dead, over 10000 aftershocks, 6000+ houses needed knocked down (some old, some only a few months old), majority of CBD gone, displaced businesses, ete. Not good. Feels strange that I used to work in 20 storey 15yr old modern high rise office building with 1500 others, it's now completely gone & I now work in a two storey box box with just 50 people.

However we now have a stronger community & in a decade or so will have a modern well integrated & well designed central city. Looking forward to how it will be !
Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

UK,

"Bookemdanno" did a nice build in the UK using solid reds. Take a look at his thread.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
is all include a rule allowing fires for 'food preparation' hence simple BBQ, pizza ovens and oven a simple drum with grill over top is acceptable.
Pit a spit in your outdoor fireplace and tell them to go jump..

I cant see a small population like what is in NZ killing the planet with pollution.....