Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Temperature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyf View Post
I have long been a fan of using hand tools over power tools and have been hand carving victorian style rocking horses for years.

That is exceedingly cool!

How much of the oven will you be doing with hand tools?

It may be off topic, but I for one would love to read about carving victorian rocking horses - care to make the discussion public? Just post it under "other building projects", I'm sure it'll blend right in...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Apprentice

Talking Re: Temperature?

I tend to pick up a hand saw or a screw driver over the powered version all the time and I don't know why, maybe it just gives me more time to think about the job I am doing. I also tend to plan and replan a whole lot more than I need to, I think. The only concern I have with cutting some of the the brick by hand is the stress that the bricks will go through that could mean cracking later. I am now thinking that I will cut as much as I can with the diamond blade to minimize the stress factor. As far as the rocking horse thread goes I would be happy to advise all that are interested. Frances, I am leaning more and more towards a mosaic finish on my oven and fortunately Sydney Australia does not suffer from frosts to any great deal, the worst we would see is -1C, so do you think i need to worry about the tiles I use?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, more mosiacs!! Cool!

I should think you could put whatever you like on your oven, but as I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with milder climate mosaics, I'd recommend you ask someone who knows about outdoor tiling where you are... Just remember, a mosaic is basically lots of small tiles fitted together, so if you ask about tiles, you'll get more useful information.

I like the idea of using hand tools. If you look at the casles and cathedrals and everything they build before discovering electricity, you just wonder how they did it. Reclaming lost skills, that kind of thing. I do sewing sometimes and started sewing some things by hand, which is quite different and actually a lot more relaxing than using a machine. And the other day I caught myself wondering how long it would take me to teach myself how to light a fire by rubbing two sticks together...

Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Apprentice

Stick to matches!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

... yes, but what if you get lost up an mountain without any matches and your cellphone battery dies?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Apprentice

Don't go up mountains without matches!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Apprentice

I started the first course today and it went fairly well. It all looks good so far and my hitech circle tool, (the stick), works OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Temperature?-dscn0025.jpg  
Old 05-31-2009, 04:32 AM
Apprentice

I have made some good progress in the last 2 days and I think the oven is coming together OK so far. I am wondering how it will go when the angles start to increase, will it start to go "slip sliding away"? At the moment a am singing Frances's song "I'm still standing".
Attached Thumbnails
Temperature?-dscn0031.jpg  
Old 05-31-2009, 06:56 AM
Journeyman

May be some pictures could help you...
Luis
Attached Thumbnails
Temperature?-vanes2ndrow.jpg   Temperature?-vaneslinteldetail.jpg   Temperature?-vanessideview.jpg   Temperature?-domedoordetail.jpg   Temperature?-closingdome.jpg  

Old 05-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

... it all looks "solid as a rock" to me!

I love those dark red bricks by the way. They look nearly purple.

« Door Use | finshed »