Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   temp probe (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/temp-probe-11826.html)

crwdtb 03-05-2010 03:26 AM

temp probe

gday guys and girls , firstly I would just like to say what a great forum this is and that you all have convinced me that I can build this thing!
So far I have layed the slab and mortared and made sure first concrete bricks are square and level. I got to thinking after seeing a few pics on this forum that some builders are incorporating what looks like an internal temp gauge!
I certainly would like to include that in my build and would appreciate any more info on the subject.
Cheers
dave

dmun 03-05-2010 04:20 AM

Re: temp probe

Hello, and welcome.

Search for thermocouple.

There's LOTS of information on the subject. The short version? Thermocouples are useful for serious bread baking and other retained heat tasks. They are less useful if pizza is your primary interest.

crwdtb 03-05-2010 04:28 AM

thx alot for the link , I think pizza will be the main dish on the menu but you never know? and I guess its a lot easier to build it in now than consider it later.
cheers

Johnny the oven man 03-06-2010 10:45 PM

Dave give me a call on Tuesday, we have the cheapest probes available, 0-500c, 5mm dial, 300mm probe. 0451470371. in Melbourne

nissanneill 03-07-2010 02:52 AM

Hi Dave and welcome aboard.
Which part of Aus do you call home, as there might be plenty of local help that you can draw upon during your build.

Cheers.

Neill

crwdtb 03-07-2010 07:01 AM

I live in Hawthorn and seem to have caught this crazy disease of building a woodfire oven! it keeps me awake at night thinking of all the different ways I can do this thing. Already built myself an indipensible tool and im not even up to the dome! Main thing is its enjoyable and rewarding, pizza is a bonus!
will post some pics of progress very shortly.
cheers
dave

crwdtb 03-07-2010 07:04 AM

hey johnny the oven man thx for reply, I will give you a call tue. I am hoping you will be able to fill me in on the ins and outs of fitting the thermocouple and where it is best situated.
cheers
dave

Johnny the oven man 03-07-2010 02:15 PM

We also have a copper "sheath" that the probe can fit into. The store is in Nunawading.

nissanneill 03-08-2010 05:53 AM

Hawthorn, SA or Victoria. If SA, the we could get together to discuss your progress.
The fun also continues when you start using it. Unfortunately, I don't use mine as often as I should.

Neill

david s 03-09-2010 05:02 AM

Johnny,
Why do you use a copper sheath? Copper is an extremely good conductor and will pull heat from the inside to the outside.Its thermal conductivity is 400W/mK compared to that of stainless steel 16W/mK Much better off with a stainless steel sleeve and as thin as possible.