Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Serf

Default Re: starting my clay oven.....................or maybe not.

Hi,
its defficult to say how much as that will depend greately what kind of an oven you want a simple oven my mate build almost cost him nothing he got the clay from a skip got a piece of shatering ply again from a skip put a layer of flettons normal bricks about 30p each got the straw from a farmer he knows n bingo he had an oven for £30 mine so far is cost me over £200 n its not finish yet, but so far i dug a shallow fountation put dump proof plastic layed about 6 inches of concrete with some steel builded bricks to chest level put slades for another dump proof on the bricks rendered the inside layed screed on the floor with another damproof plastic got some ply n timber build a frame round it used some reinforcing steel layed what would the oven floor be build on as i intent to store firewood under the over i will need more concrete round the thermalites i be using for insulation to lay the fire bricks on so far i spend over £200 lots of hard work n still need nearly £100 for fire bricks maybe £10 for thermalites some fire clay some fire mortar n straws n who knows if i'll cook any better than my mates but i hope it will last a long long time once i finished i will add it all up n send some plotos as the work progressed its also a personal satisfuction as each over its differentely build by each one of us most of the hard work is accually buying n currying the materials through the house to the back garden so whatever pls do allow extra time for finishing the oven
n best wishes with it Takis
Old 06-04-2009, 05:36 AM
Serf

does any one here know where I could source the clay or powdered clay and sisal rope. I am in Perth and not having any luck with the pottery places might be trying the wrong ones any opther ideas to who stocks this?
any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks Craig
Old 06-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Serf

hi Greig here in the UK i managed to get hold of a lot of clay as they dug it out of the fountations my problem after was getting it to a working mixure not easy in the end i soaked it in a big bucket for 4 days n then got an attachment ona drill n mixed it that way once it was mixed nicely i then added the sand n after started mixing the straws in the mixure by hand my big mistake i took the sand out too early n it colapsed couple of hours later so this time its been just over a week n haven't taken the sand out even it feels solid i might in the next day or 2 i tried many times to upload photos as the work progressed but they never loaded gl mate it will give u lots of satisfuction knowing u did it all yourself in the end
Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by abncraig View Post
does any one here know where I could source the clay or powdered clay and sisal rope. I am in Perth and not having any luck with the pottery places might be trying the wrong ones any opther ideas to who stocks this?
any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks Craig
Craig, call SILA on 08 94553133. They will help you.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Serf

Haven't checked out the site for a while....too busy cooking pizza.

If anyone in Perth needs ball clay. There is a pottery supplier in O'Connor that stocks it. They are in Yellow Pages and they are the only supplier in Perth (to my knowledge). You will need two large bags (you'll use a bag and half)

I ended up using 8 bags of Perlite, available at hydroponic suppliers.

I've built two of these ovens now, and would recommend it to anyone.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey-t View Post
Haven't checked out the site for a while....too busy cooking pizza.

If anyone in Perth needs ball clay. There is a pottery supplier in O'Connor that stocks it. They are in Yellow Pages and they are the only supplier in Perth (to my knowledge). You will need two large bags (you'll use a bag and half)

I ended up using 8 bags of Perlite, available at hydroponic suppliers.

I've built two of these ovens now, and would recommend it to anyone.

Good luck.
I think you will find Sila Australia in Perth also sells ball clay.0894553133
Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Peasant

Hi Mickey -t
That's an expensive way of obtaining clay and although much of Perth is on sand you shouldn't have to go far to find a satifactory source of natural clay.
Having conducted workshops over most of Australia there has never been an occasion where I couldn't find suitable clay within a few kilometres/miles from the venue.
You don't need a great amount when mixed with equal parts of sand and stonedust [plus 10% cement] so investigate roadside cuttings, riverbanks, excavations, quarries or ask dam builders or fencing contractors.

Good hunting and building.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood fired oven workshops View Post
Hi Mickey -t
That's an expensive way of obtaining clay and although much of Perth is on sand you shouldn't have to go far to find a satifactory source of natural clay.
I suppose you are correct there mate.

we do have clay in the hill regions of Perth, but I wouldn't know whether it was the "right" clay, and wouldn't want to take the chance.

I was more than happy to pay the $45 per bag for the ball clay, which I knew would do the job.

But, it is there to be found in Perth if you have the time/inclination.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Peasant

Hi Mickey t,

The best method of testing a natural clay is to sieve about a cup full of the bone dry clay through a kitchen sieve [you don't have to go that fine once you have located a good source - about 10 mm mesh is fine].
Slowly add water to the clay, mixing as you go, until you have a pliable clay that can be rolled in your hand without stickyness - your hand will be relatively clean . it's very easy to over wet the clay so roll the excessively wet clay in the dry clay powder [as you would with dough] until it stiffens.
Roll a pencil thickness short 'rope' and try looping it around your thumb.
If it bends around the thumb without cracking you have a very plasic clay.
If it cracks a little but holds together then it is semi plastic. If it cracks and falls apart you have a short clay.
You can also try dropping a golf ball shape of clay from shoulder height to solid ground. If it remains intact it is very plastic, if it splits only then it is semi plastic but if it breaks apart it is too short.
If you work on the basis of adding equal parts of sand and stone dust to a very plastic clay plus 10% of cement you should have a good mix.
If it is semi plastic use less of the sand and stonedust.
If you are jibbed by good citizens for taking the clay from the roadside you are either a university geology student doing research for your Masters or you are from the Roads Board just doing tests for the new freeway - you then shouldn't have any more hassels as they rush for their phone!