Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 AM
Serf

Default Re: Started, sort of

Mark,

I've sent you a few details in a PM on what I got. Hope it helps you, let me know if you need any other info.

Damon,

I'm just up the road from Bushland near the golf course. Let me know next time you're up this way, your're welcome to come and check progress and/or for a cook up. Leave the browns at home though, they're a bit quicker than the coppers'.

Cheers guys,
Peter.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Peter, let him bring one up in a cage and see which one wins. Good entertainment? Pizza, beer and snake fight.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Master Builder

thanks Peter.....not sure when we are over there next as just been away to Mildura a few months ago........but will have to do it though ......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:28 AM
Laborer

Hi Mark CH, (and Peter who started this thread - love the oven)there is a bloke in Eaglemont that sells second hand firebricks - don't buy them all because I haven't picked up mine yet !!
I think he also sells out of Cranbourne if thats any help.

I'll be going in the next couple of weeks to get mine so I can keep you posted on the condition of the bricks.

I found him in the Trading Post online. Search for firebricks. He is a potter by trade but seems to know a fair bit about ovens/kilns etc - he even has some oven plans that he's trying to flog but this site is way better for that. In fact he is the one that started me thinking that a simple lime mortar mix should be able to do the job rather than all those other types that are being suggested here and elsewhere. Although that's another can of worms - can't seem to get a straight answer on that.

My father who was born and bred in Italy insists that Lime/Local sand that they could scrounge and field stones was all they used and they lasted for decades being used daily. Although their ovens wouldn't have experienced the heating/cooling cycles that a typical one here would.

As for things like vermiculite just do a search on the net for "vermiculite Melbourne" and a few sites should pop up. I can give you specific details if you like.