Old 07-09-2011, 03:23 AM
Peasant

Default Re: sizing help needed

Thank you on the lintel part. I was planning on using an entry arch as the lintel, but are you saying that i do need stone/firebrick/angle iron to frame the opening on top of the arch?
" flames would more closely follow the pattern they do in a pompeii oven."
the ovens we have used though all the coals have been raked out and we just cooked in them, there wasnt a flame pattern, also when thinking of my wood stove, its square inside, there are no "cold spots" the heat radiates into the whole fire box. (I also read this article that talks about the differences in the ovens) Igloo round oven dome, rectangular Barrel domes, brick arches, vault shapes building circular brickwork.
Thank you again, I will be doing a whole lot of searching now for how others did their lintels. Many of the "turnkey" ones are cast, which really doesnt help when you looking to build one from bricks.
A couple of the stonebuilding books I have talk about home construction and using an arch for the lintels, I may need to do that in another project that I am working on.
Appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Peasant

don't do anymore research--lmao. yeah you can over think it pretty good. I am going to try to get some firebrick and do some layouts. I tweeked my back today carrying bags of mortar to the house (I am putting field stone on it). I may have them deliver the bricks and mortar just to save my back a bit.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Peasant

Just doing a math check.
(bricks will be standard medium duty firebrick ~9x4x3)
36'' width of slab -9'' for firebricks (4+4+wiggle room)-3'' of insulation (i have a 1'' lip around the slab so i can add more insulation as needed), gives me an inner width of 22''

49'' lenght of slab -9'' for firebrick-3'' of insulation, gives me an inner lenght of 35''

Height stumping me would it be 13'' inner height? (22 width-9'' of firebrick=13''). or go up to ~17''?????just confused here.

Opening would be 12'' wide (inner width)+9'' of firebrick=21'' divided by 2=to center it I would need 7'' on each side.

Opening height would then be ~10'' to keep 63% but is that if the internal vault height is ~17''.

width of the opening would then be 4(firebrick)+6'' chimney pipe+4'' final arch=14''?????

(I will be adding a bluestone ledge to the front of the stove that is 16'' long which will partially hold the opening. )
Tyvm.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Peasant

Its the 49''. The oven will look like a loaf of bread.
I went to our local brick place and they said they only carry 9x4 1/2 x2 1/2 firebrick, along with 9x4 1/2x1'' thick firebrick(this is more the kind used for lining wood stoves).
and 50# of premix hightemp mortar 60.oo a bag.

Last edited by Forgeblast; 07-11-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Peasant

MHA News - 2007 Meeting at Wildacres
look about 7 pics down the barrel vault they are making is sideways with the opening in the side(just like my set up will be). Putting the entrance in the end would be easier but this way with it on the side I would be able to reach all parts of the stove....and it would work with what I have.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Peasant

I will be adding on a bluestone shelf about 16''-20'' deep and 30'' wide that i can use to hold the entry arch if needed(which it probably will). I found some mantel hangers and I will be welding up some angle iron to help hold the weigh of the stone.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Peasant

I went to the brick place got prices on the brick and mortar. This week I hope to have my buddy pick them up in his truck. I have the barrel jig cut, and the entry jig cut.
The only thing I am kind of stuck on is chimney size, I think 6'' will be fine.
Once I get the brick and can lay the floor out then ill have it all gel in my head.
I cant wait to see your stand.
I also had to go and pick up a new lp stove and build a stand for it to sit on also started making the solar air heaters we will be using to supplement the LP. Its been hot and busy. But I cant wait for the oven to begin.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Peasant

Update: finally got the firebrick, my buddy with the truck was out of town. We unloaded 125 firebrick yesterday and I cut the herringbone pattern for the floor. Will post more pics once I get more done.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Laborer

Where's the picture?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Peasant

Im kind of hitting a wall in my head on the dome height.
my floor width is 27.5. does that mean that my dome Inner height will be 13.75, which is 1/2 the width, or does it need to be higher,
13.75 that gives me a golden ratio door of 9'' that seems snug. Is there a ratio for the dome height i guess I am asking.