Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/)
-   -   Score !!!! (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/score-3313.html)

brokencookie 02-04-2008 05:15 PM

Score !!!!

I really don't care about the superbowl score. I just scored on the firebrick front. My truck is loaded with 250 full firebricks and about 75 halfbricks that I picked up for $75 (US). I found someone who was going to build an oven and is now moving coast to coast. In addition to the bricks he gave me 2 five gallon buckets of fireclay and one bag of portland cement and about 30 common bricks. He even helped my load it into my truck.:D

I guess this means I am truely committed now. My wife will flog me if I leave piles of bricks around the yard without building:eek:

Now I just need for someone to have CMUs lying around unused.

asudavew 02-04-2008 05:56 PM

Re: Score !!!!

You lucky #@!$@%

Good for you!

cant wait to see the pics!

dave

RCLake 02-05-2008 01:19 PM

Go for it!! Use your savings for extra insulation. Hope the guy moving to the East Coast starts one there.

brokencookie 02-06-2008 04:54 PM

I just finished unloading my poor overburdened truck. The gentleman I bought the bricks from told me there were 250 full bricks. I accepted his count since I did'nt mind the price even if there were a few less. Now I have an embarassment of riches:p . Having unloaded and stacked the bricks I find that I have

450 full clean fire bricks
50 full fire bricks that need to have some old mortar chipped off
About 75 clean half fire bricks
60 common brick ( nice orange colored hand made type)
50 lbs of fire clay
100 lbs of sand
2 90 lb bags of portland cement.

I think I will have more than enough for the planned 36 inch oven, BBQ, and smoker. I may have to encourage some of my friends to start builds so they can remove my extras:eek:

christo 02-06-2008 05:10 PM

sweet!!! I like that. Share the wealth!!!!

Good luck and take lots of pictures!!!

Christo

asudavew 02-06-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christo (Post 23732)
sweet!!! I like that. Share the wealth!!!!

Good luck and take lots of pictures!!!

Christo

Ditto!

Awesome find!

RTflorida 02-06-2008 09:30 PM

Cookie... good for you. I completely struck out on my build. Although I managed some good pricing.....nothing like this. I can't wait to see the whole project complete......starting to feel a bit jealous.

RT

jeff 02-07-2008 03:53 AM

Brokencookie,
I had a similiar win, about 1967. (Strewth. Just last year, eh . My, just how time slips by.)
Thirty year (no mate hang on, 40 ) year ago,needed a b'n w photo enlarger. Answered an ad in the paper, and when I turned up in me 'glad rags', (as a student), this old German bloke gave the thing to me: not sure if it was terror or sympathy.
Mate, if you want to flog off your surplus firebricks, feel free.
Pre-paid to Bundaberg should do it.
Don't worry about air freight BC, (Sea is fine, eh.)
(Make that C/- FB, eh).
Onya Brocken Cookie, well done.
(Mate, I admire people who can create forum names. [I'm a card-carrying luddite, eh]. So is it legitimate to ask how BrockenCookie was born?
Good onya BC: top build to you mate.
Luddite Jeff.

gjbingham 02-07-2008 04:34 AM

Good find! You just turned your backyard into a construction zone, and you haven't even started yet.

No reason not to start working on the slab/foundation now. Easy digging in the pouring rain, right? At least the ground isn't hard to sink a shovel into.

George

jeff 02-08-2008 05:22 AM

George,
That kid is going to kill you, (slowly), if ever these images get leaked to the Press.
Stay well eh.
Jeff.