Old 05-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Serf

Default Re: Raffy's WFO Build

hey there lwood. i've never been to bicol

It sounds the same, but:

bagasse = crushed cane stalks. burns fast with an pleasant caramel smell. but if use a lot, leaves black soot on wfo floor and there's a lot of residue which chokes the rest of the wood in my small oven. might be ok in a bigger oven. small amount is ok kindling

bigas = milled rice, definitely not fuel. (unmilled rice including hull = palay)

rice hulls = ipa. i've never tried burning this, though i've heard people use it for pottery

what do you do in bicol, if i may ask?

anyway, if you (or Raffy) are in the Fort (High Street) area in Manila, let me know and I'll treat u guys for lunch or coffee in exchange for construction pointers.

cheers
Old 05-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Master Builder

Bikol is definitely a different language. Palay I recognize but never ipa. Rice hulls are burnt here also for things like a kiln or boiler or to dry things like at the place where I get my perlite. They dry the perlite before shipping for construction purposes. The drier is interesting because it uses these rice hulls to heat the perlite. The rice hulls are in a large hopper with a 4" gap at the bottom and they light the rice hulls at the bottom of the hopper. As they burn the rice hulls in the hopper feed the fire. Don't know how you would do it in an WFO.

My wife and I are retired from the states and we are developing a property near Naga, at the base of Mt Isarog, Malabsay Falls.

Yeah, let's all get together sometime.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Master Builder

Bikol is definitely a different language. Palay I recognize but never ipa. Rice hulls are burnt here also for things like a kiln or boiler or to dry things like at the place where I get my perlite. They dry the perlite before shipping for construction purposes. The drier is interesting because it uses these rice hulls to heat the perlite. The rice hulls are in a large hopper with a 4" gap at the bottom and they light the rice hulls at the bottom of the hopper. As they burn the rice hulls in the hopper feed the fire. Don't know how you would do it in an WFO.

My wife and I are retired from the states and we are developing a property near Naga, at the base of Mt Isarog, Malabsay Falls.

Yeah, let's all get together sometime.

John
Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebramirez View Post
Thanks Raffy.

I am trying to figure out where to locate it in our house in Valle. The best location is against the perimeter corner wall, but I am not sure about the setback requirements. Maybe it can be considered just part of landscaping.

Btw, do u mind if I ask how much u spent? I am talking to a small contractor to build it after I finalize size and location. I will put a tile roof (i have spare tiles), just so there's less chance of sparks flying and so it doesn't get so wet. I'll also include a side table, which you need actually. I am planning to make the oven 30-32 inches. I hope this is big enough to roast a small pig. I've cooked lechon a few times in our 30inch gas oven.

I bought a big tarp for our oven in tali to prepare for rainy season. It has a roof, but rain there flies horizontally. The clay oven was so cheap to build. I spent only about 8-9kpesos on it, including the base and the gi roof. I had left over materials from our house build and labor was done by us and our gardener. If I fire it long enough (1-1.5 hours). Floor temp gets up to 900F and the pizzas take 2 minutes. I've tried using bagasse (my friend grows sugar and makes muscovado) to fire the oven but it's really not ideal. It burns too fast and has a lot of residue which actually hampers airflow. It works well, I get slightly worried though when I bump the walls with the bakers peel.

I wanted to ask, are you required to have your chimney so high?

Paella in the oven, I will try sometime. Lechon is actually next on my agenda.

Tx!
Sorry for the delayed reply. I have been busy lately and haven't checked the forum in a while. I needed a high chimney cause you have to be 2 feet above any structure that is within 10 feet of the oven. This is for fire safety reasons plus I didn't want the neighbors complaining to the village association about the smoke. Hehehehe

Raffy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Apprentice

Default John & Nanette Drop by for a Visit

John and his lovely wife Nanette drop by the house for a couple of pizzas. Hope you guys enjoyed! Nanette was taking the photo that's why she wasn't in it hehehe

John was making a pizza it was gone before we could take a pic hehehe
Attached Thumbnails
Raffy's WFO Build-29261_437180515624_652460624_5511826_6520598_n.jpg  

Last edited by Raffy; 05-24-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Master Builder

We had a great day with you and your lovely family, Raffy. Thanks for all your help. Raffy introduced us to a Italian food supplier that will knock your socks off and some used/new restaurant equipment suppliers too. Then proceeded to take us back to his place to meet his family. His parents were in from Canada and a bunch of sisters/sister-in-laws showed up for a baby shower. My wife had a great time cackling with the girls and tell your mom Nanette loves her. Thanks for a great day, and the pizza was great too.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Apprentice

Glad to hear it, John. Oh BTW, can you post the pics for the firewood supplier. I'm sure the forum members would get a kick out of it.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Apprentice

The day that John and Nanette came over for some pizza, John and I noticed that the oven dome cleared in less than 40 minutes. To test the floor, John scattered some semolina flour on the cooking floor and it confirmed that the oven was up to temp to cook. To say the least, I am very pleased with the oven's latest performance. I had just covered up the bald spot on top which I left open for steam to escape. I assume this greatly improved the oven's heat retention and efficiency.

The charring underneath the pizza was perfect. We were in pizza heaven. Even roasting the vegetables and chicken was a breeze. Everything came out absolutely perfect. I'm loving the oven even more each time I use it.

Last edited by Raffy; 05-24-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Master Builder

Here is a picture of Raffy's wood supplier in Manila.
Attached Thumbnails
Raffy's WFO Build-wfo-wood.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Master Builder

Definitely Pizza heaven Raffy, your oven was performing like a champ.

« Curing | Black Soot »