Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Raffy's WFO Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Thanks for posting your party pics! Very nice! And talk about start of oven build to official pizza party in record time.....good going Raffy!
Thanks! I'm sure you'll breeze through your build as well. When you are enthusiastic with a project work just happens faster than you expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Wheels View Post
Raffy your build was inspiring and the party showed your effort was worth it! Congratulations.

Rod
Thanks, Rod. It is surprising how simple pleasures can make you feel very fulfilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
Man, that's some good looking food. I want that chicken!
Thanks, Keith. Two words paprika and rosemary. Rub your chicken down with those and don't forget salt and pepper to taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprante View Post
Raffy,
The party looks like it was a huge success. Looks like you really put out some food from the oven. Congratulations.

Eric
You could tell by the dirty cooking floor me thinks hehehehe. Yeah, cooked hell of a lot of food that day. 46 pizzas, roasted potatoes, chicken, porkloin, and vegetables. Tiring but very satisfying to feed friends and family.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 AM
Apprentice

Gees Raffy!!

Now I'm hungry after looking at all that food. There goes the diet

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Serf

Raffy,

Thanks for the PM. I'm kinda envious of your wfo!

I've had a 27 inch earth oven in our beach house in Tali batangas since January. We built it ourselves and absolutely love it. We use it every other week. Our routine is pizza and empanadas/calzones, then a meat roast (so far chicken or leg of lamb), and then 5 or 6 loaves of bread or apple pie. If I still have energy, I bake beans or make callos or something braised and leave it till morning. I use wood trimmings from our trees or from the neighbors. I make pretty good bread - country bread, whole wheat, raisin, walnut, etc. We bake bread every week and the money saved pays for my lpg bill. My gas consumption has gone down even more.

I'll get started building one in our house in Manila. I'd like to do a pompeii. I hope I can bug you with questions. I know where to get the fire brick and the refractory cement. I'm not so sure about the blanket and getting a guy to actually do the work. The chimney on our wfo is only about 18 inches btw and it works pretty well. There's hardly any smoke also because it gets hot quickly and I use dry wood.

Anyway, great looking oven. Congrats!

Eric
Old 05-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Serf

Hi Raffy, just read yourwhole post.
Thanks for providing such an engaging thread on your WFO build.
I've been making pizza in a woodheater the past 2 winters, i think it's time to move my butt and build an oven!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Apprentice

Anytime, Eric. You can bug me anytime. Try making paella in the oven. Surprisingly, it works very well just keep the tin foil handy just in case the fire starts to char the surface of the rice.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Serf

Thanks Raffy.

I am trying to figure out where to locate it in our house in Valle. The best location is against the perimeter corner wall, but I am not sure about the setback requirements. Maybe it can be considered just part of landscaping.

Btw, do u mind if I ask how much u spent? I am talking to a small contractor to build it after I finalize size and location. I will put a tile roof (i have spare tiles), just so there's less chance of sparks flying and so it doesn't get so wet. I'll also include a side table, which you need actually. I am planning to make the oven 30-32 inches. I hope this is big enough to roast a small pig. I've cooked lechon a few times in our 30inch gas oven.

I bought a big tarp for our oven in tali to prepare for rainy season. It has a roof, but rain there flies horizontally. The clay oven was so cheap to build. I spent only about 8-9kpesos on it, including the base and the gi roof. I had left over materials from our house build and labor was done by us and our gardener. If I fire it long enough (1-1.5 hours). Floor temp gets up to 900F and the pizzas take 2 minutes. I've tried using bagasse (my friend grows sugar and makes muscovado) to fire the oven but it's really not ideal. It burns too fast and has a lot of residue which actually hampers airflow. It works well, I get slightly worried though when I bump the walls with the bakers peel.

I wanted to ask, are you required to have your chimney so high?

Paella in the oven, I will try sometime. Lechon is actually next on my agenda.

Tx!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Apprentice

Very impressive! Just the motivation I need to finish! Thank you!

Eric Pfeifer
Old 05-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"bagasse"

You do not hear that word often.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Serf

I had to check whether I spelled it right!

My friend grows sugarcane and makes muscovado (unrefined sugar) right on his farm. It's basically boiled cane juice, reduced then crushed to a powder. It's really quite good. He sells everything just based on word of mouth. Tastewise, for me its closer to real maple syrup than brown sugar. Freshly squeezed cane juice on ice is worth trying if you ever get the chance.

Anyway, he uses the bagasse to fire his kiln. He gave me a pickup truck's worth. But it doesn't work so well in the wfo. I use it now for bonfires and outdoor grilling.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Master Builder

"bagasse" - milled white rice, that's what bagasse is here in Bikol. You tried to burn bagasse? I've seen rice hulls (ata) burned very effectively, but not in a WFO

« Curing | Black Soot »