Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Questions/Clarification,

I think you have to be logged in for the like option to pop up on posts.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Journeyman

I don't think it's that, as I am always logged in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I ran into that same problem last year. Sometimes the Like button would be there, sometimes not. There were other issues too, I can't remember just what they were. But, slow downloading time for this site was one of them. I was using Internet Explorer. On a suggestion from another member, I downloaded Google Chrome.

That fixed it .

PS: I was able to copy all of my shortcuts over from IE to Chrome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 02-09-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Serf

Thanks for the info concerning the dry mix for leveling....if required. Makes sense, should keep it simple as possible but then I wouldn't wake up in the morning thinking about this project (along with the dumb things they did on my house the previous day).

Ordering my ceramic blanket and fireboard today, it has a month lead time for delivery.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Serf

Ok, let me first apologize for probably posting another dumb question but after an hour or so of searching and reading I can not find the answer I am looking for.

If I need to level my fire bricks on my ceramic board the general consensus is a 50/50 dry mix of sand and fireclay. I have seen posts where only fireclay is used, so can anyone tell me why mix with sand? (My contractor is worried about the sand....exploding, or popping, not exactly sure). This is part of the trials and tribulations of 2 different languages and cultures trying to build an oven.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day mike
Sorry this is twice " the popping sand has been mentioned" does your workman know something that you don't? What is the local sand? It would be worthwhile checking at this point. Even through another third source, without putting you workman offside.?
Sorry to add to you burden but you have a whilst to the board arrives.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-10-2014, 03:25 AM
Serf

I Think it's a Thai thing, if they have never done it, it can't be done since they don't want to be wrong, saving face is big here. I will admit that the contractor seems very knowledgeable. I think I need to appease him to some degree on the build so if need be I will go with just fireclay for leveling.

I guess my question or one of them is does the sand help in leveling or is it a cost issue due the the expense of the fireclay? I guess somewhere in all of this someone decided the 50/50 mixture was at least one good way to go.

I did get my ceramic board and blanket ordered today, I most likely ordered too much since it had to come from Bangkok, about 120 km and the lead time is about 3 weeks, didn't want to be short so I think I will have a very insulated oven. It was about half of what it costs in the USA, was quite surprised by that.

Thanks for the reply.
Mike
Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
It's S/east Asia it is all about "saving face" . That's why I said don't get you worker offside . Regardless of the culture its all about respect
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-10-2014, 04:15 AM
Serf

Yep, been over here (Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand) about 18 years, it still never ceases to amaze ( frustrate) me. Luckily my wife takes the brunt of it, I have Westernized her in that sense. That's also why I need to appease him somewhat. As long as the oven works well and maintains heat then my goal will be accomplished.

Last edited by mmissler; 02-10-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 AM
Serf

So since this kind of got side tracked a little....is there anyone out there know why fireclay is mixed with sand for leveling? At this point I am just curious since I will go with fireclay for the leveling, if need be.

Thanks,
Mike