Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Serf

Default Re: Questions/Clarification,

UtahBeehive and others,

Thanks for the posts, Utah that's the pic I need to show my builder.

BtW, I now have several glass bottles for insulation, I needed everyone of them last night!

The oven build doesn't begin until mid-March so I am sure you will see many more dumb questions from me since I tend to over plan things.

Last edited by mmissler; 02-08-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Master Builder

Hi MM,

What are you insulating with glass bottles?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Hi MM,

What are you insulating with glass bottles?
I think, that it was just a joke.........without an emoticon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 02-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Serf

Sorry, the glass bottles had beer in them, I was using the beer for insulation....not the bottles. My head feels a little "insulated" today.
Gulf likes this.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Serf

But on a brighter side as translated details work there way out of my wife's head it has now been determined that fire clay is available. Luckily for most of you the oven build is all you have to deal with, try translating all of this through someone that isn't really sure of what I am trying to do.

Ok, now that I can get fire clay, I just mix with sand and a little water and use for leveling ( if required) between the ceramic board and the fire brick floor???
Old 02-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ceramic board is flat enough that you shouldn't need any fireclay/sand mix to level. If any, a very minimum dry amount will be sufficient to fill any firebrick irregularities and gaps between bricks.

Mixing a slurry will quickly turn to unworkable porridge as soon as it hits the firebricks.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Questions/Clarification,

G'day
I always get drawn out into the open by this one and shot at like a wood duck but here goes...
I used table margarine spread over the surface of the insulation to stop the insulation from drawing the moisture from the mix. Used a notched trowel, combed the surface and set my brick into position. Got a good flat surface which is still good today.
In saying that you could use a dry mix, most paving is laid on dry sand mix. If would still use a notched towel to smooth the surface.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Journeyman

So, in essence, a person can lay the Ceramic Board and the hearth fire bricks w/out using anything? Assuming things are all flat and level, of course.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 02-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
So, in essence, a person can lay the Ceramic Board and the hearth fire bricks w/out using anything? Assuming things are all flat and level, of course.
G'day
Of course, in all things ..... Keep it simple
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Journeyman

Since this is the Newbie Thread....I have a question. One of many as I proceed w/my WFO, I'm sure. This pertains to this site. Why do some posts have a place to "like" a post, then some don't? Tried to look it up, but did not find a place explaining that. Thanks.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra