Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Question: Has Anyone Ever Used Cob for the Stand?

Good point. I know some cob houses are buttressed but don't know when that's necessary.

If interlocking block are available I'll probably go with that and stucco the exterior.

Hmmmm....
Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Journeyman

Hey there strangers. Been very busy. One of the projects I shot recently was a press conference for my friend's non profit about the Bee disappearance problem. Yes. I am a hippie. Anyway, one of the panel members was a cute farmer girl who has a foundation of some kind that build cobb ovens and plant gardens for inner city youth. (i could have this totally wrong.. I think I'm close though) So anyhoo.. she sent me some pictures of one of her builds.. I encouraged her to join the forum and further discus her cobb experiences, but if she's too busy saving the world, I'll try and answer questions through her.
Attached Thumbnails
Question: Has Anyone Ever Used Cob for the Stand?-cobsmaller-1.jpg   Question: Has Anyone Ever Used Cob for the Stand?-cobsmaller-2.jpg   Question: Has Anyone Ever Used Cob for the Stand?-cobsmaller-3.jpg  
Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Coolness! I love the pics!

Actually, I think the pictures just answered my question - if they are using block under a mud oven it's a pretty good bet that it's not strong enough to take the pressure from a brick oven. Ah well...

But if you don't mind asking I would love to know for certain.

Big coincidence - I have a friend who's been telling me a bit about that same problem (CCD - colony collapse disorder - I think it's called).
Old 05-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Serf

Hello. At RedBrickNick's encouragement, I joined your forum. Point one, I'm a grad student in biology, and I happen to farm/help with cob ovens on the side. My twin sister was actually on the panel, she's a farmer. (She's the cute one).

As for the foundation question, I'm sure that a foundation could be built out of cob, or even straw-bale wall, but quite simply, the foundation holds cob upright. Cob is heavy, and you don't want it to sink or crack over time. Using cement-blocks filled with sand still allows heat to conduct/convect. And given a river-rock facade (which we haven't made yet) keeps the oven pretty.

If you have any questions on ovens/farming/plants/bees/papercrete, let me know!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool, thanks! It's the stand, not the foundation, that I had in mind, but that answers the question.

What about the oven itself? Does it have trouble with spalding? It seems like it would.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Journeyman

Uh, you are both the cute one. And by farmer, I meant Graduate student in Biology..
Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Way to go Nick, nice to hear from you.

Calpollyalli -- can you post something about the bee die-off in the Chit-Chat Section (otherwise known as how are we going to feed outselves without pollination). I'm a big fan of olive trees, and they have small little white flowers that have to be pollinated by insects -- I'd like to learn more.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hmmmm, out of curiosity, does anyone know how the exterior of the oven (made of cob) is insulated? If it isn't, how hot does it get?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes I'm resurrecting an ancient thread. So sue me...

I think I figured out how to do it. I saw a picture of an oven that had been made on a wooden stand - it was portable if I recall correctly - and that gave me an idea. Cob houses sometimes incorporate wooden beams in order to support the weight of the roof. It seems to me that I can do the same thing to support the weight of the oven. Rebar and concrete would form the actual table top (for want of a better term) cob would form the walls and encase the wooden beams.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 11-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Laborer

Hi Archena,
We are hoping to use mudbricks for our stand. These are as strong as block bricks and with a sealant like boncrete, they will last forever.