Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: planning questions

K
Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Purging moisture to prevent steam explosions is a problem. Many folk who have built cob ovens have discovered this. Likewise every potter knows that his wares are subject to this problem if the first firing is rushed. Usually the problem occurs at round 200-300 C where water turns rapidly to steam and expands quite violently. It is a mistake to think that because you are over 100C that all the water must be out. Manufacturers of castable refractory include fibres in the mix that burn out at low temp (around 160 C) and a network of tiny fibres is left for the moisture to find its way out more safely. This technology was actually developed in conjunction with concrete to give concrete buildings some protection from fire damage.i have found from experience that rushing the early fires of a new oven will definately crack the outer shell (I've done it a couple of times) I developed a system whereby moisture can vent around where the flue pipe comes out of the outer oven shell, about four years ago, and it works pretty well. If you believe that a vent won't work or is unnecessary then don't put one in, many builders don't.
in using the term "steam explosions"
I was talking more generally about excess water in the refractory itself, in an effort to explain the importance of water removal to avoid damage to the oven. As the water is driven off it moves out wards away from the fire and into the insulation. The vent works in much the same way as the hole in a saucepan lid to reduce the pressure build up. In my build because I use vermicrete rather than blanket the careful removal of moisture is more important.
Gulf likes this.

Last edited by david s; 10-22-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Apprentice

Isn't the vermicrete over 3" of ceramic fiber insulation more than is necessary? The Pompeii plans indicate vermicrete over 1" insulation, but I'm planning cladding the exterior with 1/2 to 1" heat stop, then adding 3" of fiber blanket. Isn't this enough?
Thanks,
Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirassou View Post
Isn't the vermicrete over 3" of ceramic fiber insulation more than is necessary? The Pompeii plans indicate vermicrete over 1" insulation, but I'm planning cladding the exterior with 1/2 to 1" heat stop, then adding 3" of fiber blanket. Isn't this enough?
Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

3" of blanket is enough insulation. But, it must be kept dry. For igloo builders, that means, some type of water resistant render over the insulation. Some render straight on top of the blanket. But, blanket insulation can be a little lumpy to render over for some builders, like me . The vcrete layer can be used to help "even out" those hills and troughs. It also has the extra benefit of being extra insulation. In this discussion, it does add more water that must be removed. I beleive, like David S. , the best way to get it out is to get it out before it is trapped in. I really thought that I had given it enough time. But much later, seeing the moisture coming out of my vent hole, has made a believer out of me .

The heatstop cladding applied to the outside of your dome brick will be extra thermal mass, not insulation.

Joe

Old 10-23-2013, 03:57 AM
Apprentice

Got it...whew..thought I was going to have more work ahead of me, but I'm building an enclosure around mine.

Link to my pictures

Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exclamation Re: planning questions

Quote:
Got it...whew..thought I was going to have more work ahead of me, but I'm building an enclosure around mine.
Gudday
Think again ..... Gulfs build has full oven head cover. I mean full, big,huge.
Check his build out.
You might want to add to your soffits
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Master Builder

Slapping a bit of vcrete and mortar around can be quite therapeutic, loads cheaper and quicker and very satisfying if you stand back and see a dome of great beauty there is a little personal magic! It works better if you have no snow to contend with and builds of the ilk of Gulf, Stonecutter, Utah and too many more to mention are works of art.

The guaranteed good bit is the inner glow when the keystone is placed on the dome and the absolute knowledge that the first pizza cooked in your oven is superior to every other pizza that has ever been made. That is also magic.

House/no house - vent/no vent. Vexing questions but it seems you have it sorted now. Onwards and upwards!!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Apprentice

Oh that's right! So Gulf, why the vermicrete?

Link to my pictures

Old 10-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Oh that's right! So Gulf, why the vermicrete?
If I understand the question correctly, here goes:

This is just my thinking, so take it with a grain of salt .

The blanket placed between the firebrick and the vcrete is the primary insulation. But, (if you think about it) it is also one heck an expansion joint. In my build, I was wanting to accomplish two things. The first was to preserve the look of the perfect sphere that I had worked my as off to accomplish. The second was to have a beefy/structural layer to support a stucco shell on which to apply brick flooring splits. (The splits give the illuson of the real deal .) The vcrete did both of those, plus it gave the added benifit of more insulation.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Why the v-Crete . I didn't bother with the stuff it was not worth mucking around with, especially as the constant rain at that time it would never have dried. 4 in of rockwool over the 2 in of ceramic , chicken wire and render (stucco) and the oven was sealed in. Just in time for the one in a hundred year flood as it turned out. I've since helped out pearlcrete on oven and am still not impressed with that stuff . If I built again it would be, dry the dome ,3 in of ceramic then render over that. No mucking around and waiting for water to slowly work its way out. Dry and sealed in minimum time. Anyway that's how I see it
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Apprentice

What's used for the render? That's probably what I'll do as I'll be enclosing mine.

Link to my pictures