Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Oven struggles - bottom of crust terrible

Just found out from Forno Bravo that Yes I do have floor insulation in my oven(ceramic).
& Yes it is dry.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Peasant

thanks.
I will test again & advise.
I do know last time I did pizza the corn meal from the peel did catch fire. But the crust on the bottom did not cook very well.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Peasant

hi pizzafun
hope it works better for you.
Jusnt an FYI try to find semolina flour, not corn meal, they both look really similar, yellow and coarse, but because corn has a high sugar content ( ie corn syrup) it will caramalize then burn (fire) with a very bitter taste. I had to go to cooking school to learn that. its not obvious. The grainy stuff under pizzas at a pizzaria is almost always semolina flour. when semolina hits the stone it should carbonize but not flame up leaving a more neutral carbon taste...unfortunatley corn or semolina don't have anything to do with why your crust isn't browning quickly or evenly...but when you do get the crust perfect go with semolina ;-)
Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Peasant

thanks for the tip!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Master Builder

You will know when you clear the dome. Just build a big fire and keep it going hot until all the black is gone. It doesn't happen all at once, a black line will move across the dome. Then test with a therm. or semolina. The black burns off at around 650 -700F. I think the semolina goes around 850F in 2 or 3 sec.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Journeyman

Big fire + 2 hours = thermal success. After reading, sounds like you are not saturating the oven with heat, especially since the dome in not clearing. Do not be afraid of the fire going up the chimney - that is good. The oven can take it.

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5dad View Post
Big fire + 2 hours = thermal success. After reading, sounds like you are not saturating the oven with heat, especially since the dome in not clearing. Do not be afraid of the fire going up the chimney - that is good. The oven can take it.
Sorry Chris, but I can't agree. Fire going up the chimney is wasted fuel and means that your oven chamber is overloaded. The flame should only ever be just licking out the oven door. Apart from risking damage to the flue pipe attachment, the stainless steel will discolour (minor problem), it will create more smoke (bad emissions), temp rise will be actually less because the atmosphere in the chamber will be reducing rather than oxidising (the equivalent of running an engine on an over rich fuel mixture). Finally you risk damaging the refractory because it is the 500-600 C range where there are significant delicate chemical and physical changes that take place in the refractory and temperature fluctuations exacerbate the problems creating many small cracks and maybe some bigger ones. Wood firings are notoriously difficult to control in terms of fuel regulation, don't try to see how hot you can get it unless you don't mind damaged refractory.This applies more to unsintered castable refractory than fire bricks, but also applies to mortar, which is not pre-sintered.
vtsteve likes this.

Last edited by david s; 09-29-2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: thought of more