Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 04:58 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: oven stand size

Yeah it's still hitting -20C (-4F) overnight some days...in fact we got more snow yesterday! Though by May a tarp and a heater should work fine.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Apprentice

Looks like sourcing refractory mortar will be a challenge, but I did manage to track down the ingredients for homebrew mortar. My challenge is that the fire clay and silica sand are 2 hours away(50lb bags of sand need to be pre-ordered), not a big deal as I pass through to go to the lake that way, but don't want to be short. Approximately how much fireclay and silica sand will I need for a 36" oven? Both ingredients come in 50lb bags. Fireclay is 16.95/bag and sand is 19.99/bag
Old 04-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
Looks like sourcing refractory mortar will be a challenge, but I did manage to track down the ingredients for homebrew mortar. My challenge is that the fire clay and silica sand are 2 hours away(50lb bags of sand need to be pre-ordered), not a big deal as I pass through to go to the lake that way, but don't want to be short. Approximately how much fireclay and silica sand will I need for a 36" oven? Both ingredients come in 50lb bags. Fireclay is 16.95/bag and sand is 19.99/bag
TheBigT,
I was hoping that someone with some experiece with fireclay would chime in. Maybe this bump will help. I was never able to source fireclay in my area so I don't have any first hand knowledge about it. I started out with a refractory mortar, but then quickly switched to using the screened (sieved) settlings from my wet saw as a substitute for fireclay. That was for monitary reasons .

You didn't mention the the other two components of homebrew, portland cement and hydrated lime. I assume that you will be able to get these locally. I actually used Type N mortar for my homebrew. Type N mortar is 1 part portland and 1 part hydrated lime ("or the equivalent") in the states". I just adjusted the formula to match.

20 bucks for a 50 lb. bag of sand............... What do they charge up there for "masonry sand"?

I guess your main question (Approximately how much fireclay and silica sand will I need for a 36" oven?) is a little difficult to answer. That would depend on just how exact you plan on cutting your bricks to fit. Many have cut there bricks on jigs, and used formulas for precise cuts. Their builds would not require nearly as much mortar as mine. I only attempted to make my inside cuts tight fitting. And again, there are others who only cut their bricks with a brick set in to halves, thirds etc. They probably used more mortar than me on an equal number of bricks.

If you can get the portland cement, hydrated lime (or type n mortar), and can source some "masonry sand" locally, I would just "over buy" the fireclay. Since it is is only 1/6th of the formula, I would try 3-4 bags. Also, since it doesn't have to be "preordered", you could take it back the next time you go to the lake .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 04-03-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My latest oven is 33", and I used just under one 50# bag....I still have some left. It was used in the reinforced cladding I covered the dome with too. 2 bags should do it for a 36".
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
My latest oven is 33", and I used just under one 50# bag....I still have some left. It was used in the reinforced cladding I covered the dome with too. 2 bags should do it for a 36".
Stonecutter is a pro. His ovens could probably be just drystacked with no mortar. You might better split the difference and pick up 3 bags

Last edited by Gulf; 04-03-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
TheBigT,
20 bucks for a 50 lb. bag of sand............... What do they charge up there for "masonry sand"?
Yeah things are expensive here...I found quikrete patio jointing sand fornhalf the price but not sure it'll work or not QUIKRETE® - Sand - Patio Paver Jointing Sand

Ill go with extra and return what I dont need.

As for cutting the brick im going to see if my buddy has a good saw, as purchasing a 10" saw isnt in my budget as theyare expensive up here(see what they charge for sand), otherwise ill have to use my 7" wet saw to score it and break off the rest.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would go with the jointing sand.
david s likes this.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Apprentice

Great thanks... I'll get 80lbs of that stuff for half the price of silica sand
Old 05-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Apprentice

It has been really cold here....last week it was -5C overnight so I haven't gotten to do any work on this project yet. Last night I started drawing out both a 32" and 36" ovens on some poster board. After seeing the 32" on paper it appears that it will be plenty big enough for me as I will mostly use for pizza and bread as most of my roasts & other meats end up in my smoker. I'm hoping to form this up today as I have help and I'm gone away on business 2 out of the next 3 weeks.

Since my top slabs are not fastened I am able to play around with them a bit and I was wondering if this will work. http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...514_191500.jpg

The slabs are still on the top of the middle pillars and by spacing them out I get an extra 4" or so which takes the depth of my hearth to 56 1/2", which I believe will hold a 32" oven. Here is my thought(not sure if it is a good one though lol)....Form up that gap between the 2 slabs along with adding 3" per side using 2x material like Gulf drew up for me. I'd also make the form so in one pour I could do both fill that gap and add 2" on top of the entire slab for a total hearth slab thickness of 4 1/2". I have 3/4" rebar on hand at the house which I could use in place of 1/2" rebar. This would give me a hearth slab that is 56(w) x 56 1/2"(L) x 4.5" thick.

Will this work or am I coming up with really bad ideas?

Old 05-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
It has been really cold here....last week it was -5C overnight so I haven't gotten to do any work on this project yet. Last night I started drawing out both a 32" and 36" ovens on some poster board. After seeing the 32" on paper it appears that it will be plenty big enough for me as I will mostly use for pizza and bread as most of my roasts & other meats end up in my smoker. I'm hoping to form this up today as I have help and I'm gone away on business 2 out of the next 3 weeks.

Since my top slabs are not fastened I am able to play around with them a bit and I was wondering if this will work. http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/a...514_191500.jpg

The slabs are still on the top of the middle pillars and by spacing them out I get an extra 4" or so which takes the depth of my hearth to 56 1/2", which I believe will hold a 32" oven. Here is my thought(not sure if it is a good one though lol)....Form up that gap between the 2 slabs along with adding 3" per side using 2x material like Gulf drew up for me. I'd also make the form so in one pour I could do both fill that gap and add 2" on top of the entire slab for a total hearth slab thickness of 4 1/2". I have 3/4" rebar on hand at the house which I could use in place of 1/2" rebar. This would give me a hearth slab that is 56(w) x 56 1/2"(L) x 4.5" thick.

Will this work or am I coming up with really bad ideas?

I'm not sure I follow what you plan to do, but 3/4" rebar is a bit thick. Did you mean 3/8"?

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra