Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Oven sizing question

Hi Filthymutt,

I love your idea for the horizontal bar to hang ducks from. If I am correct (maybe someone can veryify) I think Indian tandoor ovens also cook chicken pieces on metal skewers hung from the top of the oven. Your idea of the bar would be great for both roast duck or tandoor chicken. Has anyone else fitted such a horizontal bar?

My Picasa Web Photo Albumn -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Oven sizing question

Well from what I have seen, I think in the Indian oven, which is vertical with an open top like the ovens of Kashgar (Kashii) which I posted pictures of earlier, rather than being suspended from a bar the meat is just placed on skewers which are put into the oven vertically and kind of just lean on the top rim for support.
The bar that I mentioned though seems standard in the duck roasting ovens here in China that I have seen so far.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Oven sizing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthymutt View Post
I'll have to look into it some more. I do not really need to put them thru the door vertically. Only to hang them inside that way. So, should the door be a bit lower I do not think it would be a problem. Inside I really will just need a short iron bar going from one side to the other, to hand the skewers onto.
I do not anticipate doing duck more than once or twice a year so I don't want to get too ambitious with modifications.
Don't forget the bricks at the entry to the oven will be hot enough to burn you when at cooking temperatures....Something to remember as you are placing ducks in position to cook

I am 80% finished with a one meter dome. For an increased oven opening height, I elevated my dome gage two inches to make the peak of the dome two inches higher....That made my dome to oven door ratio allow an oven opening of 13.75 inches. We used a soldier course of half bricks for the first chain. The oven opening is 18.75 inches wide.
HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Oven sizing question-wood-fired-oven-017.jpg   Oven sizing question-wood-fired-oven-010.jpg  

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 03-17-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: correcting a brain fart....