Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: oven Not hot enough

You can also simply control the draft by placing a tile on top of your chimney to partially or completely close it. This is how we control the atmosphere when firing kilns.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
The remedy IMO is not to make drastic changes, but to just continue firing and the oven will come good when it is finally dry. Without the addition of fibres designed to melt and burn away at low temp, in the mix you risk steam exploding your walls so be careful.
The second two ovens I built were of the same design that you have and I was surprised that they did not operate as well as my first design which had its flue in the centre of the dome. I've found the best design is one with the flue at the front, but independent of the oven chamber. Don't give up or drastically change your design, I'm sure the main problem is that your oven is not properly dry. I bet it is still smokey, that's another sign of a wet oven.
Very good advice - definitely pursue this before making any structural/design changes.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post
Very good advice - definitely pursue this before making any structural/design changes.
+1 on more fire. Dry it out slowly, and then get that baby stoked up. Tear down and rebuild is a last resort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Serf

Really really new to all of this, but could his wood also be an issue? I was thinking that wood that wasn't totally seasoned could contribute to the large amount of soot present, and lower temps. I might be way off...just a thought. Good luck

m
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Master Builder

Question Re: oven Not hot enough

I am thinking his oven is cast from heatstop mortar only. While the water is definitely and issue, I don't think mortar has the properties to store heat anywhere like a dense firebrick. I think we need his response to know exactly what this thing is.
David S and Wotavidone or right on if he has some brick in there. Really like to know.

Tracy

Tags
oven not hot enough, wood oven isnt hot enough