Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Oven Build in SC

Thanks John, but for the same amount of area the 2" FB board covers for over $200 I found 3" insulating Firebrick for about $125, that was my first thought to go the less expensive but I also did not want to compromise the insulating. I believe I noticed the insulating firebrick in a few posts from karangi-dude and some other and just wanted to make sure they worked at least as well as the other options. I was also going to use a vermicrete layer and inlay the insulating firebrick (or FB board), my thought was from reading alot of posts is to insulate, insulate, insulate! Or is that overkill?
Another question I had for you was about the soapstone floor you used- how does it perform for you, have you had any issues of it being to hot of a surface? And would you comment on why you decided to lay the first course down on the side as opposed to standing them up, was it a visual thing or functional thing? Your build was awesome and I have been studying it closely.
Again I very much appreciate all the knowledge, experience and advice received.

Thanks,
Steven

Last edited by videts38; 05-16-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Apprentice

Can somebody Help??
For the home brew all I can find for the hydrated lime is a product called Lee's double strength Hydrated Lime. I found it at a Tractor Supply Store and it states it is for agricultural uses. So far this is the only "Hydrated Lime" product I have found. And I have called every cement, motar, construction supply house around. If anybody can help with this I would appreciate it.

Newbie needing help!!
Steven
Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Steven,
3" of IFB is the same as 1 1/2" of fiber board, which I consider on the light side. I would go at least 3" on vermicrete underneath the IFB.

I'm still waiting on a stainless steel flue from my brother so unfortunately, my oven entryway is not completed. I am chomping at the bit to learn how the soapstone performs. Will report back as soon as I get the oven operating.

I had trouble mortaring the initial soldier course (+100F summer heat, mortar too dry, quite inexperieinced at masonry), primarily that the bricks did not bond. I was pleasantly surprised to see that simple gravity made for a much stronger bond by going horizontal. I like the look of the sailors and would do it again.
John
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This might help on the lime front
Mason's Lime | Type N Normal Hydrated Lime | Type S Special Hydrated Lime | Mason%27s Lime

There is a table with the characteristics of lime that you might be able to compare to the packaging of what you found. I think you want to use type"S" for comparison

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Apprentice

Thanks John and Deejayoh,
I struggled half a day to try to find the (proper) lime to use for the home brew. I have a hard time believing no one carries it. HD have it on their web site but not in the stores and it can't be delivered!! Can't figure that one out. The surveyors were here today to make sure there are no power or cable lines were I'll be laying the foundation. So time to start "diggin" this week.
I do plan on putting a 3" vermicrete under the IFB. I'm going with more is better.
I received my firebricks and ceramic insulation yesterday. I'm getting all the ducks in a row before I start. I found 3" bricks and 2" ceramic blankets. I'm hoping this will save me a few steps (courses). Anyway off to the Tractor store to compare the lime table to the product I found.
Again A big thanks for the info guys.

Last edited by videts38; 05-18-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:41 AM
Apprentice

Again I'm a little confused to say the least. I have found this product, lee's double strength hydrated lime (Lee Double Strength Hydrated Lime®, 50 lb. - 5027659 | Tractor Supply Company) (LIMESTONE). It does not say it is a Type"S" but again I'm not sure. The second link mentions masonry. I couldn't find my camera connector to attach the picture of the bag (this link shows the product) but the chemical make up on the bag reads as follows:

Minimum Guaranteed Chemical Analysis
Calcium (ca)- 29%
Magnesium (mg)- 16%
Calcium Oxide (CaO)- 40%
Calcium Hydroxide (Ca(OH2)- 53%
Magnesium Oxide (MgO)- 26%
Magnesium Hydroxide (Mg(OH2)- 38%
Maximum Moisture Content- 1%
Total Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (CCE)- 137%
Eff. Neutralizing Value (ENV)- 133%
Relative Neutralizing Power (RNV)- 135%
Effective Calcium Carbonate Equivalent (ECCE)- 134%
Index Zone- 100 or more
Derived from Dolomitic Limestone- F 1358

and I'm trying to compare it to this:

Parameter Type S
Calcium & Magnesium Oxides (nonvolatile basis), min. %- 95%
Carbon Dioxide (as-received basis), max. %- 5%
Unhydrated Oxides (as-received basis), max. %- 8%
Plus 30 Mesh Residue, max. % on, (or no pops or pits)- 0.5%
Plasticity (Emley Units), min.- 200
Air Content - Minimum (%)
Air Content - Maximum (%)- 7%
Water Retention (%) min.- 85%

I'm not a chemist but doesn't this add up to more than 100% (LOL)

So my question since this is all Greek to me- are there any chemist out there (LOL)!!
Anyway I'm on a quest for answers!! And some Type "S" lime which I'm finding hard to locate

Thanks All

Last edited by videts38; 05-19-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Steven,
I'm baffled that you can't find Hydrated type-s lime at a big box store. It's pretty common here in southern california. Also, I'm not convinced that ag lime is what you want. I did come across this interesting article that suggests that in a lime/sand mortar the presence of portland blocks the natural carbonation (hardening) of lime.

Masonry Magazine: Lime Mortar

John
Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just kicking this in . A bag of ordinary brick mortar (Type N) is 1/2 portland and 1/2 hydrated lime.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Apprentice

Eureka, I found what I needed, Type S cement (50% portland/50% Hydrated Lime). I big thank you to everybody for their help. I tell you what though, if I stressed this bad just trying to find the necessities, wait till I start the build!!! OMG!!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by videts38 View Post
Eureka, I found what I needed, Type S cement (50% portland/50% Hydrated Lime)......
I believe that Type S is 2 parts portland and 1 part hydrated lime .
Here is a site which breaks it down in to the 5 types.