Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Newbie Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Oven Build in SC

Well, have made little progress over the last couple of months due to being to cold to mortar, I think, I worry about the freezing temps at night. I not sure but I don't think that would be good for the mortar if it isn't dry yet.
But getting back at it here and there. Finished the forth course and half the fifth course (no pics of fifth yet).
Anyway, since it was back to freezing temps at night, I thought I get started framing out the side counters. I'd like to get those poured in the next week or so.
But I have a question first for the knowledgeable ones, do the counter tops need re-bar also? They will be approximately 2" thick, with cement board in the center between the blocks (see Pic). Seeing how there is only an 8" gap between the blocks, I'm not supporting the cement board. I stood on the board to test the strength of it before I made this decision, I didn't think the concrete would cave it in. But with the cement board the center it is only approximately 1.5" thick in that area. Then with the 1/2" rebar I have I thought it would be to close to the surface and less mix in that area and make it weaker. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Much appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build in SC-sdc13042-optimized.jpg   Oven Build in SC-sdc13043-optimized.jpg   Oven Build in SC-sdc13045-optimized.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Why not set the board flush with the block? You could use tapcons to mount brackets, then put a couple pt supports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Oven Build in SC

you need small rebar(pencil rod) or ladder wire for reinforcement in your concrete with a 2" thickness. You can grind and or cut the 1/2" rebar to a manageable height, say 3/4". Look at my thread if you are planning a trowel finish. Russel did a really nice polished finish on his.
Concrete needs the reinforcement, but you have to use smaller diameter rod or wire when your thickness goes to 2". I used 1/4" rod and it worked well. Still no cracks (knocking on wood)...

Tracy

Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Laborer

Thanks for the input, that's what I thought but wanted a second opinion. Really I was hoping for a "Not needed" but.......
I am going to trowel finish but will be putting some granite or something over it.
Thanks for the input!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

you definitely need some reinforcement - rebar or a mesh (metal or fiberglass). For counters, I think most of the pros have gone to the specialized fiber mesh.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 AM
Laborer

Back at it again! Finished the last course and I'm starting to fashion the top key stone. Took baby steps all summer long between work, rain, vacation, work.
Anyway very excited to be at this point. After the keystone, onto the entry arch and chimney.
I have a question about the chimney for anybody- I have enough fire brick left over that I can fashion part or all the chimney from the firebrick. If I do that is that to much weight on the entry arch? I was thinking either all brick which could add up to a couple hundred pounds or build up a foot or so then go with the double wall pipe for two feet. I wasn't sure if it would need an abuntment. If so how do I do an abuntment?? This would sit on the entryway which will be the rounded archway type the same as the oven opening.
Anyway, here is the progress so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build in SC-sdc10488-optimized.jpg   Oven Build in SC-sdc10497-optimized.jpg   Oven Build in SC-sdc10502-optimized.jpg   Oven Build in SC-sdc10493-optimized.jpg  
Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by videts38 View Post
Back at it again! Finished the last course and I'm starting to fashion the top key stone. Took baby steps all summer long between work, rain, vacation, work.
Anyway very excited to be at this point. After the keystone, onto the entry arch and chimney.
I have a question about the chimney for anybody- I have enough fire brick left over that I can fashion part or all the chimney from the firebrick. If I do that is that to much weight on the entry arch? I was thinking either all brick which could add up to a couple hundred pounds or build up a foot or so then go with the double wall pipe for two feet. I wasn't sure if it would need an abuntment. If so how do I do an abuntment?? This would sit on the entryway which will be the rounded archway type the same as the oven opening.
Anyway, here is the progress so far.
I hear you about the rain..it was non stop until August.

You would have to build an abutment and a spandrel wall to support a firebrick chimney....and I think you are looking at more than 200lbs too.The way your oven arch is formed, it looks like the it is past center, and the line of thrust would exit at the bottom of your springers ( second brick in the arch) because they are elevated one brick high.

If it was me, I would just build a throat and level base for a clay or SS flue and save the rest of the firebrick for a BBQ or sell them.

Where are you in SC? I'm in North Santee on Lake Marion. I have another oven build starting soon and I might be interested if they are low duty.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 11-04-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Videt
Kudos on almost plugging the dome. Nice work on the dome. I did abt a foot of brick work then four feet of double wall ss pipe with no additional buttressing on arc. But if you go with a full brick chimney something to seriously consider.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 11-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Laborer

Listening to you guys, I think I'm going to go with a throat and a level base for some double walled SS pipe. I'm busy enough and don't need all the extra building I know nothing about. Thanks for the info.
Stonecutter, I'm in the upstate by Greenville. What I have are medium duty bricks. I can give you a more actuate count later on if you are interested.
Thanks for your info also, it helped with the decisions.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by videts38 View Post
Listening to you guys, I think I'm going to go with a throat and a level base for some double walled SS pipe. I'm busy enough and don't need all the extra building I know nothing about. Thanks for the info.
Stonecutter, I'm in the upstate by Greenville. What I have are medium duty bricks. I can give you a more actuate count later on if you are interested.
Thanks for your info also, it helped with the decisions.
I have a bunch of close friends up there, in fact, we are coming up in month or so. Thank you, but I'm going to pass on the firebrick, I use low duty for my builds.

So, if you build a throat and go with SS, there is no need to reinforce your arch. Keep up with the updates!

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin